It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
(male)

snice HB User
Blood in Urine after Exercise

OK, this is a new one for me. I've been an athlete all of my life, though for the past few years my activity level has decreased. because of my work schedule. Recently I've been getting serious about exercising again. I'm pushing my body harder than I have in a while, though not as hard as I have in the past.

I recently started running with a partner. My partner is a slighlty better runner than I am. The last two times we have run (for about an hour), I have urinated bright red blood after running. I've never had anything like this happen before. I've run farther, faster and harder, in hotter conditions before, but I've never had this happen. Nothing hurts when this happens, and it clears up within a few hours (bascially, it's clear the next time I have to go).

I'm thinking that this is occurring because of a combination of being a little out of shape, pushing it hard and running in the extreme heat and potentially getting dehydrated (I lose about4 pounds of water weight when I run an hour).

This isn't due to an infection, and I'm too young to have bladder cancer and it only happens when I run intensely.

Has anybody had this happen to them? Any tips on what causes it or how I can prevent it? I'm not terribly worried about it, but, it is a little disconcerting when it occurs. Any theories?

The Following User Says Thank You to snice For This Useful Post:
Muchugia Machua (05-09-2011)
Old 06-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
(male)

Curt2 HB User
Re: Blood in Urine after Exercise

I think that I've heard this can happen from the impact that running has on the organs (kidneys?). Maybe try better padded running shoes???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Go see your doctor. Running doesn't bruise kidneys. Either you have some other trauma to them and running exacerbates the issue or there is something else very wrong. Either way, it's best to know rather than guess in this type of a situation. Blood in the urine is a huge red flag.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Uh ya dude, if you are peeing blood it is a little more complicated then simply running too hard! Although being dehydrated can cause blood in the urine, it would only occur under rather extreme circumstances, in which case you would have other symptoms besides just blood in the urine. I would in no way mess around with this one, go see your doctor ASAP.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
(male)

Andy84012 HB User

No doctor, but a kidney stone would be moving around as you ran and does cause blood in urine. Still need to see a doctor.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:08 AM   #6
(male)

snice HB User

OK, I went to the doctor. He told me that what I was experiencing was fairly normal. Exercise induced Hematuria. He said that he usually sees it in the summer time. He had two explanations for me (in other words, he wasn't totally sure, but these were his theories).....1) My bladder was empty both times this happend (I voided right before I ran). Apparently, bladder tissue is prone to bruising or tearing when it is empty and bouncing around a lot. His suggestion for this issue was to not void right before running, but to do so about an hour before running (so there was a little something in there before I started running). 2) His other theory is that I was dehydrated to begin with. I have been dieting and losing weight pretty rapidly for the past three months and he thought that I might be maintaining a low level of dehydration. Apparently, when you are already dehydrated and you start exercising, your kidneys will do everything possible to keep the fluid in your body. If that means dumping small amounts of blood out in order to keep the fluid in (this has something to do with diffusion or fluid exchange or something) that's what will happen.

He tested my urine for blood and there wasn't any. Given my age, the proximity to exercise of the event, and my likely state of slight dehydration, and the fact that my urine didn't have any blood in it 3 days after the event, he felt pretty confident that there wasn't anything seriously wrong.

So his major recommendations were to drink a lot more fluid, load up on water, to the point where I am peeing clear on a day I am going to run, and then make sure the bladder isn't totally empty right before I run.

I actually did this yesterday and I had no problems. No blood in urine (at least none that I could see). I asked him about the padding in my shoes, he said that more padding might help, but that the water would help more.

The following user gives a hug of support to snice:
Arkenzo (04-16-2011)
Old 06-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

I'm really glad it wasn't something more serious. Thanks for letting us know the results. Something to be careful of in the future. Cheers.

Closed Thread