It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2006, 06:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
10 m Running and 5 m Weight Left, is that safe?

Hi,

Today I have exercised 2 hours (for the first time in my life) because I was drinking a lot of water while I'm exercising, which before I thought it's not safe but thanks for you guys now I can exercise for a longer time.

I run for 10 minutes then left weight for 5 minutes then drink a cup of water and do this routine 8 times. Is that safe? I mean I need to know if intense exercise for 5 minutes then not intense exercise for 10 minutes then again intense for 5 minutes is safe thing to do?

Thanks for helping me,
Michael

Old 06-26-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: 10 m Running and 5 m Weight Left, is that safe?

It's not unsafe, but it's not especially efficient either. What exactly are your goals right now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hello,

My goals are:

1- Losing weight
2- build a good physical active strong body

So why it's not efficient?
Thanks,
Michael

Old 06-27-2006, 01:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User

I imagine one reason that it isn't efficient is that the running will fatigue you and prevent you from weight training effectively because you'll be tired.

It's generally better to weight train first (before cardio/aerobic) because that is when you'll have more energy so can work your muscles harder - this is important even if you don't wanna get HUGE muscles.

How many days a week do you exercise? I'd recommend 4 or 5 weight training sessions a week at most with rest days in between. You can then do cardio on your rest days as well as on some weight training days, just do it after the weight work.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks for your help .

Another question, I'm a beginner and I practice my arms with 24 pounds weight (12 pounds each arm) so is that safe?

Okay thanks a lot then I will left weight first then run for one hour after that.
Michael

Old 06-27-2006, 05:29 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User

That weight sounds fairly safe to me.

If you're new to weight training, I would suggest doing 4 or 5 sets of around 12 repetitions on each exercise. Use a weight that feels heavy enough that you struggle towards the end of the last set - anything too light and it won't give you the most benefit. Too heavy and you do risk damage, plus less benefit because you won't be able to complete the sets.

After you've been exercising for a month or two, your body will have adapted so you could lift heavier weights for less repetitions (say 6 instead of 12) if you want to gain pure strength.

Also it's worth looking on the internet for guides on how to perform each exercise - don't rely on copying what other people do, as quite often they're doing it wrong, and you don't want to pick up bad habits!

Old 06-27-2006, 06:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I see, so I will be doing 5 sets of 12 repitition. Thanks for help. I guess I can't left more than 44 pounds because I have high blood pressure. It's under control using medication and the doctor told me to left whatever weight I want but I know that it's not safe for my heart. Anyway when I do left 44 pounds I will be in shape and my blood pressure will drop due to exercise .

Should I increase the sets by time? or increase the repititions in each set? also how many seconds which I rest between sets?

Thanks for help,
Michael

Old 06-28-2006, 01:42 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User

I would say 5 sets of 12 reps is the most you need to do on each exercise. Aim to take 1.5 - 2 minutes rest between sets.

Once your fitness starts to increase, there are several ways to make the workout harder:

1) Increase the weight, keeping reps/sets the same.
2) Increase weight, do less reps per set (say 5 sets of 8 reps).
3) Decrease rest between sets (if you take 2 minutes, then try 1.5, then try 1 minute).

You can do up to 20 reps per set if you want, but this generally promotes muscle endurance more than pure muscle growth, so it depends what your aim is? If you have high blood pressure, I guess the best option is to keep the reps high and don't increase the weight too quickly. I'm not an expert, but I would think lifting heavier weights is more risky than doing more reps.

Closed Thread