It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2006, 03:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Does Weight Lift helps dislocated shoulder?

Hello,

Iím very depressed and I need advice from someone who knows anything about that. 4 years ago while I was lifting weight I have dislocated my left shoulder and it came back after 7 seconds so I didnít go to the doctor. I stopped exercising from that time , after 2 years I dislocated it again due to a wrong movement. 2 months I have been to the doctor and he said that I might need a surgery to fix it. Iím sure that he wants only the money so Iím not sure that I really need this surgery plus itís very expensive in my country (Egypt) 4,000$ to 5,000$ and I canít afford it now.

I have read online that lifting weight can fix this problem because it will make my shoulder stronger. Is that true? I mean do I have a hope other than the surgery?

Today I started lifting weight at home and I was using 13.65 pounds for each arm, I was fine until the exercises that let me move my shoulder above like the exercise Lateral Raise. I felt some pain in my left shoulder but I successfully completed 2 sets (12 rep each) of that exercise.
I tried the same exercise again but I have used only 5.25 pounds instead of 13.65 for each arm and I felt that I have no problem doing it and I have done 4 sets (12 rep each).

My thinking that I can use those 5.25 pounds and do 8 sets of 12 repetition to make my arms stronger then after 8 weeks I will increase the weight for 10 pounds. But in the same time I will use the 13.65 for the exercises that I have no problems with like Curls for biceps and Triceps extensions. Does this will help me to avoid the surgery

Thanks for help
Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2006, 06:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Does Weight Lift helps dislocated shoulder?

If you're very careful, it may help. It will strengthen the ligaments, tendons, and muscles around the shoulder joint and possibly help prevent future dislocations. HOWEVER, I am not a doctor and I'd have to advise you to take what your doctor has said under consideration. Maybe get a second opinion. The shoulder is a joint that can cause you problems for the rest of your life if serious problems are not addressed early. Be sure before you decide to take (or not take) action.

Using a lighter weight is definitely adviseable to start, but if curls and tricep exercises etc. are not causing you any pain, feel free to use heavier weight. Strengthening all your other muscles will do ntohing but help. For the shoulder, do lateral raises, rear deltoid raises, and front raises, *slowly* and controlled focusing more on your range of motion than the weight you use. If you do very slow reps (literally three full seconds up and three seconds down) then several sets of 12 reps will be helpful. I think waiting 6 to 8 weeks before increasing weight is a good idea. Just don't work the shoulder -or any muscle- more than twice a week and allow at least one or two days between workouts. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hello Naxis,

Thank you very much for your help, I understand that I should get another opinion and I will do as soon as I can. I heard that I can workout 5 days a week. I really want lose weight and lower my blood pressure level so do you think that 3 days Weight Lift and 2 days Aerobic is good? instead of 5 days Weight Lift?

In fact I feel that my shoulder is getting better and the movement of my arm is getting better too. I really hope that this works for me because I can't afford the surgery.
Thanks,
Michael

Old 06-30-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
(female)

malcolm28 HB User

My hubby tore his rotator cuff about 15 years ago and when it happened he was told he needed surgery. Of course he didn't have it done because he hates doctors. It realy started giving him problems again about 5 years ago so he decided to go to another doctor and possibly get the surgery, But by now he had already done too much damage and surgery couldn't even help.

He has been lifting again for 3 months now and it was realy hurting at first, but now that it's getting stronger it's feeling better. His doctor told him to work out and the strengthened tendons and muscles will help hold the joint where it needs to be.Start at a low weight and definately watch your range of motion, don't push it.

Definately think about the surgery though or get a second opinion because down the road like my hubby you may not have the option.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You need to allow at least 24 to 48 hours of rest between workouts so your muscles have time to recover, as that is when muscle growth actually occurs - not *during* the workout. Granted, you're not talking about power lifting, but any resistance training needs recovery time. 2 to 3 days a week lifting and the other days for cardio for weight loss sounds like a good schedule.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks Naxis and malcolm,

I will lift weight 3 days and run 2 days and rest for 2 days. I had partial shoulder dislocation so I hope that this is less dangrous than the full dislocation. I will start with 5.25 pounds weight for all my body and increase the weight after 2 months as I said. Wish me good luck
Thanks,
Michael

Old 07-03-2006, 07:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

I will warn you right now that if you dislocated your shoulder and never saw a professional, continuing to lift weights may severly damage your shoulder joint. You may have thought that your shoulder just poped back into place, but is very possible that it did not in the approprate manner. Since your shoulder has since popped out again then this means there is somthing wrong either with your actual joint, or your biomechanics when you exercise, in which case continuing to exercise is NOT the answer. Your probably have developed a fair amount of scare tissue around the joint. I would not recommend workouting out in further until your have your should completely taken care of. See different doctors if you think you are being misled by one

Old 07-03-2006, 07:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hello Max,

my shoulder has been dislocated twice before (4 years ago and 2 years ago), I have seen the doctor just 2 months ago who has told me that I need a surgery. So I guess he would tell me if it's not completely poped back into place right?

The first time I dislocated my shoulder was due to a wrong weight lift exercise .
Do you suggest doing to another doctor?
I heard that there's an X-Ray to help the doctor to determine how much damage that happened to my shoulder is that true?
Thanks for help,
Michael

Closed Thread