It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
(female)

susanna_29 HB User
swimming ?

I love swimming, even though I haven't in years. My problem is I am not a good swimmer at all. I could probably do half a lap if anything since I am just starting out. But I wear glasses and that's another part of my problem. I would love to start an exercise program where I could include a couple sessions a week to swimming, but I am just not confident enough to go do it because I am blind w/out my glasses and I am not a great swimmer. I would feel like an idiot taking up pool space at the gym when someone else could use it, but then I am capable of getting there as long as I do it consistently. I know I could. Does anyone have any tips? Should I just build up my endurance first by working out with other types of cardio, then incorporate swimming?

Old 07-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
(female)

alana0601 HB User
Re: swimming ?

i know the gym i used to go to theyr offer cardio swimming classes which is basically you stay in the shallow end and use weights while treading water and stuff. so thats good cauyse you arent actually swimming. moving to the deep end, you are still treading water and using resistance and stuff. so still, you're never actually swimming. you shoul dsee if your gym offers classes like those. as for your eyes, you should maybe get contacts? but if they do offer cardio swim classes then you're never going under water anyway and if by any chance you would, just skip that part of the routine. as for laps, i would say take it slow. you dont have to SWIM like doing freestyle or butterfly or antyhing. you can simply keep your head above water and swim like a frog and go at your own pace. sometimes i swim a lap only using my arms. then i'll swim a lap only using my legs. then i flip on my back and swim only using my arms and then only using my legs and feet. you dont have to be fast in order to acheive a good cardio workout. any swimming activity is good swimming activity.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 04:31 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User

Have you considered swimming lessons? Swimming is a great exercise for cardio and general fitness, but I can understand your worrying if you aren't a particularly capable swimmer.

The pool where I used to work offered adults swimming lessons, where lots of grown-ups would come to learn. Perhaps your local pool does?

If not, then just keep trying - you will get better in time, and no one "deserves" to use the pool space any more than anyone else, so don't feel bad because you can't swim well.

Also you can get a float to take with you and hold onto so that you can just work your legs sometimes. If you have vision problems then you can actually get swimming goggles that have special lenses to correct vision impairment (it's like wearing your glasses at the same time). Don't know how much they cost though, or how easily available they are, but I've known people that had them.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
(female)

fawn512 HB User

there are special goggles w/ "degrees" (or those for poeple not having a normal vision) you can try and have a look in stores near you...

Closed Thread