It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
(male)

frogthedon HB User
HOw do I get my arms fuller and rounder looking?

Okay I was wondering why i see people who weight lift with full looking muscles like its hard to explain but its like their muscles are full and rounder than mine, mine are getting bigger but doesnt have that round full look to it! maybe its genetics dont know but if not, what exercises should I be doing for fuller rounder arms? I do concentration curls with dumbells- each arm 3 sets (4-6 reps), standing barbell curls 3 sets (4-6 reps), hammer curls each arm- 3 sets (8-10 reps) , and tricep raises when you hold one arm in the air with the dumbell bring it down behind your head and raise it back up 3 sets (8-10 reps), tricep lat pulldowns 3 sets (7-10 reps), plus the exercise my arms get from bench pressing, working my back and shoulders, I do mostly free weights, I also do squats and deadlifts too!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 07:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User
Re: HOw do I get my arms fuller and rounder looking?

I think there are several possible explanations:

1) You're not getting enough protein in your diet for your muscles to grow fully from the work you're doing. How much protein do you get a day? If you're a heavy weight trainer, you want 0.8-1gram per lb of bodyweight.

2) You're not doing the exercises with a full ROM (range of motion). For example, with standing barbell curls, you need to lower the weight fully so that your arms are almost straight (don't lock out though - you want to keep the tension on your bicep the entire set). If the weight is too heavy, you might find yourself only able to do partial reps, which are no good. Likewise don't 'jump' the weight up with your legs, this is just cheating.

3) Try some different exercises. Personally I prefer preacher curls to concentration curls. With preacher your are forced to work harder to get each rep, especially if you let the weight right down like you're supposed to. For triceps, I like tricep pushdowns with either a V-bar or a rope pull if you've got one. Also skullcrushers and pullovers are quite good.

Just a few possibilities. In general though I wouldn't try and compare yourself with other people too much - genetics does play a large part in what your muscles look like. I have a training partner who does exactly the same workouts as me, and yet his physique is quite different - he has bigger looking biceps and shoulders, I have bigger triceps and chest. Go figure...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: HOw do I get my arms fuller and rounder looking?

frog,

Vary the angle of your arms for both the triceps and biceps work. You do this by taking wider and narrower grips on a barbell.
For dumbell work on the biceps, use occasional overhand grip.

The secret of the rounder muscles is to do some work that emphasizes the resistance to either side of the muscle rather than always smack dab in the middle. Some machines are harder to adapt in this way so don't forget the free-weights work.

Some people get more roundness that is the result of more fat. It LOOKS better than it really IS.

Closed Thread