It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 03:17 AM   #1
(male)

Husky McHusk HB User
Natural Peanut Butter

Can someone explain to me why 16 grams of fat to 7 grams of protein per serving is considered a good thing?

I'd like to build muscle but not gain fat...should PB only be a food for guys tryin to put on a lot of weight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 03:30 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User
Re: Natural Peanut Butter

It's all about moderation, and what type of fat you consume. People wrongly assume that anything containing fat will make you fat but this is simply not true. Eating too many calories makes you fat, regardless of where those calories come from.

Peanut butter is good for lots of reasons (try googling "muscle building peanut butter"), but to summarise:

1) It's very filling so you don't need much of it, and it will keep you from being hungry for a while, meaning you eat less.
2) The fat it contains is "good" fat, mostly mono/poly -unsaturated fats. These are not the fats linked to coronary heart disease etc.
3) It contains a relatively high amount of protein, per serving, compared with most other natural products.

I would say that Peanut Butter is good as a sandwich filling - especially if you're a fussy eater like me, but want to keep the protein intake fairly high. Just don't go mad with it, or you do risk over-consuming on the calories.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
(female)

Finine HB User

Natural PB also trumps the other type (Jiffy, Peter Pan, etc) because it doesn't have added sugar.

Trust me, once you start eating Natural PB the other kind tastes FAKE.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
(male)

Husky McHusk HB User

thanx a bunch guys

I've been spreading some over 2 caramel rice cakes lately and it tastes great

Old 08-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
(female)

alana0601 HB User

what about adding jelly to that? or is jelly a no no?

Closed Thread