It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
(male)

Zebadee HB User
Everyday exercise of chest not good?

A friend told me working out the chest everyday isn't good as it overloades the chest so you won't see much, if at all any, difference. Is this true? Is it better to skip a day?

Old 08-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
(male)

chopsky HB User
Re: Everyday exercise of chest not good?

oh man! Thats overtraining to the MAX! I hit chest twice a week, and only bench press once.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
(male)

Zebadee HB User

I want big chest so I hear incline dumbells, bench press and incline/decline bench press are good so I do them a lot. I'm doing them every other day, is this good or bad?

Old 08-14-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Podee HB User

Gooner, no muscle should be hit day in day out. Scientific research shows that muscles are torn down during a workout, and then grow back together stronger during a 30 minute period, 24 - 48 hours after being torn down.

So, hitting the same muscle during that period could prolong the brief regrowth period indefinitely, such that the muscle is just being torn down and never allowed to build back up.

I train 2 different muscle groups each workout, plus abs every workout, every other day (7 workouts every 2 weeks). Therefore, I hit my chest only once each six days, and I am reaching all time maxes currently and am stronger than I have ever been.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:55 AM   #5
(male)

Zebadee HB User

So you're saying for instance go on a Monday, don't go Tuesday, go Wednesday (24 hours rest) etc or are you saying go Monday, don't go Tuesday, don't go Wedensday, go Thursday etc (48 hours rest)?

Old 08-16-2006, 05:43 AM   #6
(male)

lugter HB User

You are not counting the days right. If you work out monday at 10, then if you work out again wednesday at 10, 48 hours have passed.

Remember that it is when your muscles rest, that you will grow. Also remember to work out you whole body, and not just focus on the breast

Old 08-16-2006, 08:01 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner
So you're saying for instance go on a Monday, don't go Tuesday, go Wednesday (24 hours rest) etc or are you saying go Monday, don't go Tuesday, don't go Wedensday, go Thursday etc (48 hours rest)?
To be honest it actually depends somewhat on what sort of exercise program you're following - a high intensity, high weight, low volume program would typically require 3 or 4 days recovery for the muscle group. This means if you work out Monday then the next workout should be Friday, for that muscle group.

However, if you are doing more moderate weight/volume work then probably 48 hours is enough.

It also depends on individual genetics how quickly your muscles can recover, and things like your diet/conditioning, amount of sleep you get etc.

So to summarise...at least 48 hours rest between working muscle groups is essential (IMO), but above that it really is a case of try it and see. I've worked the same muscle too soon after a previous workout and it was fairly obvious to me because I just felt weak so I decided to work other groups and come back to that muscle another time.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
(male)

Zebadee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugter
Also remember to work out you whole body, and not just focus on the breast
Why??

Old 08-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #9
(male)

chopsky HB User

Quote:
Why??
Is that a joke?

Old 08-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #10
(male)

Zebadee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsky
Is that a joke?
No...

Old 08-18-2006, 03:36 AM   #11
(male)

chopsky HB User

Why would you only want to work your chest? Besides for that fact that your chest muscles arent as beneficial strength-wise as muscles like triceps, lats, hamstrings etc, you really want to look like a skinny dude with a big chest (even though it wont happen).

Old 08-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Podee HB User

Quote:
I work out chest and triceps (and abs) one workout, then two days later I do biceps and back (and forearms and abs), then two days after that, legs and shoulders (including upper traps and abs), then two days later, start over again with chest and tris (and abs). I do 3 - 5 exercises for each muscle group, 3 - 4 sets on each exercise, 6 - 10 repetitions ALWAYS to max (one warm up set per muscle group, then each set thereafter to momentary muscular failure).

I have been getting amazing results.

Last edited by Podee; 08-18-2006 at 06:44 PM.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:51 PM   #13
Inactive

colossus HB User

Ok, I gotta jump in here. (Jumps!)

Dude, you've GOT to do legs. Squats. Deadlifts. They suck. Do them. Toss in leg extensions and leg curls, and calf raises, and you got yourself a lower body routine.

Why?

How does your body recover from a workout? By pumping nutrients to the muscle tissue through the blood.

Your body does not have the ability to discriminate against certain muscles when throwing nutrients into the bloodstream.

So, if you do squats, your chest is going to get a hell of a lot more nutrients to RECOVER AND GROW from than doing just chest.

Muscle growth does not occur during the workout. It occurs during recovery. If the recovery period is 48 hours, then there is no advantage to doing anything sooner than 48 hours. If the muscle takes longer to recover... then wait. If it recovers super-fast (abs come to mind, but that's a different flame war), then by all means do the exercise more often.

One a much more technical note, a poster wrote: "So, hitting the same muscle during that period could prolong the brief regrowth period indefinitely, such that the muscle is just being torn down and never allowed to build back up." -- I do not believe this is true, actually. It certainly won't make the muscle grow any *faster*, but it turns out not to hurt, according to a UC Davis study done sometime last year. I can probably find the cite if I rumage around for long enough. I was pretty surprised by the study, but the methodology and results made sense, and do fit in with working models.

Closed Thread