It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
(male)

wardnine HB User
Wrist Pain... advice?

Hello... I work out 2-3 times a week in the gym. For the past couple of months, I have felt pain whenever I do an excercise involving the bending of my left wrist. For example, I feel pain when I do pushups because planting my hand on the ground involves bending my wrist. Also when I do bench press my wrist hurts during and after the bench press as lifting the weight invlolves bending the wrist. Barbell curls is another exercise that hurts my wrist. My wrist feels 100% perfectly fine when I am not doing these exercises but when I am doing them the pain is there. I had ignored the discomfort for a few weeks but it has increased to the point where I have had to work out with significantly lower weights on my left wrist vs. my right wrist. I lift using very heavy weights with low reps (4-6)...

Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Is it probably just strain or something like that? Any thing I can do to treat this? Should I see a doctor?

Last edited by wardnine; 08-15-2006 at 01:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Wrist Pain... advice?

You may have just strained it; a tendon or a ligament maybe. Might take a week off and ice it a couple times a day just in case theres some inflammation causing discomfort. If it persists after that, you might go see a doc just to be sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
(male)

chopsky HB User

Agreed. Had the same problem myself. Was caused mainly by curls.
My advice: Stop doing them. Makes a world of difference. If I were able to post commercial links, I could show you tons of links (from the world's best) demonstrating why curls are mostly a waste. Especially the amount that most people do of them.
Just give your wrist some time to heal. Best thing you could do

Old 08-16-2006, 01:00 AM   #4
(male)

Dave440 HB User

Wrist pain can be caused from a long list of things. Since the tendons and nerves (radial for example) are compressed in such a tight space, there can be irratation of the radial or Ulnar nerves and surrounding tissue. It's best not to aggrivate the wrist and keep away from certain activities which causes excessive centered torque in the wrist, for example, bench press and push ups.

Tenonitis could be the culprit in cases. Carpal Tunnel is also a possibility. There's even an injury called Volar Plate Avulsion which is a hyperextension injury that involves ligament tears. Use ice and heat and keep off the wrist for a week. If the condition continues see a doctor. Some people report that weather changes cause sudden pains. This is usually following some kind of trauma undertaken by the wrist in some kind of subsequent injury (which might have required surgical repair).

Does the pain radiate into the hand or centralized in the wrist only? If it's only the wrist then I would simply recomment keeping off the wrist for a little over a week and you should be fine. If the pain radiates through your hand (into your palm for example) I would see your doctor.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dave440; 08-16-2006 at 01:48 PM.

Closed Thread