It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
(male)

big-mike1977 HB User
Lower back discomfort from deadlifts?

Hi guys, I thought I'd post this here as they might not know about deadlifts in the back pain forum. My problem is I am getting a bad discomfort just to the left of my spine about 5 inches up from the lowest part of my back. It feels like it is pulling my upper body to the left. When I feel a bit stiff and stretch my body to my right, I get a clicking sound from around that area.

The strange thing is that I have had lower back discomfort in the past which was always from my sleeping or posture when sitting down, but this time I do not get it when I wake up or sit. It seems to be when I am standing at home that it really starts to become uncomfortable.

I am just so ignorant as to what it might be. I am experienced enough with weights and good form, but I don't know if it might be the muscle, the discs, or something else creating an imbalance. The only thing I could think of was that I am using a mixed grip on deads (one hand over and one hand under) and this may be causing the problem, although other people don't have an issue with that grip.

I am really concerned because I have had this problem for about 4 weeks now and although it is more of a nagging discomfort than anything it is not going away and seems to be erratic as to when it gets uncomfortable and when it is not noticeable. I really have no idea how to treat it. Maybe a back brace or something??

Old 09-10-2006, 03:34 AM   #2
(male)

davej24 HB User
Re: Lower back discomfort from deadlifts?

Be very careful with that. I've gotten a pinched nerve and it sux. Couldnt get out of bed for 4 days. Do your deadlifts less frequently. Dont bend your back when you do them as to let your legs do most of the work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2006, 05:33 AM   #3
(male)

big-mike1977 HB User
Re: Lower back discomfort from deadlifts?

My form is pretty spot on. I have always done them very carefully because I know the lower back is fragile.

After I got some more discomfort last night I'm thinking that it might be a tight muscle or tendon somewhere. I'm still checking it out.

Closed Thread