It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
(male)

becksA HB User
Swimming for Cardio input plz!

I injured my achilles and knee from overrunning and really want to keep my cardio up...I was at a great place, running 40 miles a week training for a marathon. Even stationary bikes/and elipticals hurt my knee. For the meanwhile (until I tryout for my college football team), I don't want to risk a THING. I've heard that swimming can be a pretty good cardio workout, but I never see anybody in the pool! Is it just underrated? Nobody wants to get wet? Am I doing the best I can right now to keep up that metabolism and stamina? THanks a lot.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
(female)

Sugarhi16 HB User
Re: Swimming for Cardio input plz!

Swimming is the perfect answer to your cardio problem. I swam on a team for 10 years and was in best shape of my life during that time. The resistance that the water provides is great for toning, but it's low impact so your not likely to hurt yourself further. Plus it has the added bonus of being a whole body work out.

As for why you never see anyone in the pool it's my opinion that people think you cannot get a good workout in the water. Most don't realize how hard it can be until they try. Also people just don't like to be wet and smell like chlorine. Especially in the winter time.

As for keeping up for stamina and metablism make sure you challenge yourself and let your workouts get harder. Your cardio won't benefit if you keep doing the same workout week in and week out. Goodluck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
(male)

becksA HB User

thanks a lot......do you have any recommendations as to strokes....timing myself, how often i should go, anything at all? i've never swam for exercise in my life until these injuries. right now i'm doing breast stroke for about 30-45 minutes at a time, seems to be a pretty good workout, tones the upper body well too i think. i tried freestyle and i was amazed when i couldnt really even do it? (I mean the proper way, 2/4 strokes and a breath....i found when i tried to take that breath i was swallowing water, serious freestyle is much harder than it looks! i felt like i was a kid in my first swimming lesson!

Old 10-08-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
(female)

Sugarhi16 HB User

Not sure what level your swimming is at but for a decent work out for 30-45 minutes 3-4 times a week should be good. If you want to measure improvement, you'll want to do your laps in incriments and a time that will give you a little bit of rest before you start the next one. Like 4 laps freestyle on 2 minutes, and as you start to get a lot of rest between lap sets make your time 1:45, 1:30 etc.

As for strokes do what feels comfortable, breaststroke is difficult so if you good with it keep it up. It's a great workout especially for the upper body. You can always work on your freestyle to make it right. You can throw in some backstroke for variety and if you want some butterfly. It's hard for me to write a workout since I always was just following one from the coach. Is there a team that works out where you swim? Maybe you could get some workout advice from them?

Closed Thread