It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
(male)

dextar HB User
working out sore muscles

If your muscles are still sore, does that mean you shouldn't work them out? I've asked different people and have received different answers. Some say that your muscles are fully recovered 48 hours after lifting weights, regardless of whether they're sore or not. Others say that if your muscles are still sore, that means they haven't fully recovered.

Usually my muscles are still sore 48 hours after working them out. Should I keep waiting till they're not sore before I lift more weights?

[removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-18-2007 at 09:53 PM. Reason: post a new question in a new post

Old 10-12-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Re: working out sore muscles

I don't think theres much you can do about sore muscles, other than soak in a hot bath/ add cup vinegar/or empson salt.
take some type of inflamorty drug like mortrin/advile maybe.

I strech before workouts and strech after, like couple minutes thats what helps my sorness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2006, 02:40 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

apparantly free radicals in the muscles caused by exercise are also a contributing cause for soreness. taking an anti-oxidant supplement of some kind can help with this. alpha-lipoic acid and co-enzyme Q-10 are probably the best as they also help with the release of energy in the cell mitochondrias, and levels of CO-Q10 can drop as a result of long term high intensity exercise if dietary levels are not sufficient (only organic grain fed animal tissue- esp. organ meats- contains sufficient amounts). the risk of deficiency is also increased as we age as the body can make CO-Q10 itself but loses its ability the older we become.
lactic acid build up is also a factor. massaging the affected areas with rosemary essential oil diluted in a carrier oil can help to disperse the lactic acid in the muscles quicker.

alex.

Last edited by ratboy83; 10-13-2006 at 02:41 AM.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
(male)

dextar HB User

Thanks for your help guys.

I mainly wanted to whether you should work out your muscles if they're sore (see first post).

Last edited by dextar; 10-13-2006 at 07:38 AM.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Don't train them if they are sore. Your muscles take much longer then 48 hrs to recover from an intense workout. If you are not training intensely then you can get away with less rest, but you will also get less results. Free radicals are not necessarily the culprits of delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS). The truth is, no one knows precisely why DOMS occurs. However, it is most often associated with structural damage of muscle fibers during intense muscle contractions. The glycolytic or fast twitch fibers, (the fibers most responsive to growth) are the muscle fibers that tend to be damaged the most during intense overload training. The sorness is a inflamation processes that is a natural healing response. If you are still sore, your muscles are not recovered. Don't train.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
(male)

dextar HB User

That was very helpful. Thank you!

Old 10-23-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
(male)

chancer HB User

You should let the sore muscles rest. I alternate the muscle groups, so if my chest is sore one day, i'll work out legs or back the next to maximize effeciency.

Ofcourse over time, your body will recover quicker. After working out 5 times a week for 3 months, I was able to workout twice in a day, (once a week). Results were great, and I was only sore for a day or two. I did this by working out in the morning and later in the night, and also switching the muscle groups worked...

It's important that you take vitamin supplements, especially if you workout hard. I stretch, massage, and ice my muscles from time to time. This really helps the healing process.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
(male)

dextar HB User

I have a new related question: If you get sore leg muscles from running, should you refrain from running again until your legs aren't sore anymore?

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-18-2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: please make a new post to ask a new question

Old 01-19-2007, 01:25 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User

I think it depends on how sore the muscles are - if they're so sore it hurts walking, then probably best to rest them. However if it's just a bit of soreness, you could do some light stretches before running, then take it fairly steady and see if the soreness goes away. If it does, you can up the intensity a bit. Be sure to stretch the legs after running as well, as this can help prevent soreness.

Closed Thread