It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 12:19 AM   #1
(male)

bigtruck83 HB User
Is 2 days a week enough for gaining muscle mass?

I dont have time to hit the gym often but my question is if this 2 day a week workout is enough to gain mass. I think im hitting all the muscles but each muscle only gets worked out once a week. Is there a variation of this that would give better results? I try to eat enough calories and protein so I don't feel diet is a problem.

On Monday I do
Bench press - 3 sets of 6-10 reps
Incline bench - 3 sets 6 - 10 reps
Shoulder press with dumbells - 3 sets of 8
Side latteral raises 3 sets of 8
Seated rows 3 sets 8
Pulldowns 3 sets 8

On Friday I do
Dumbell bicep curls 3 sets 8
Barbell bicep curls 3 sets 8
Tricep pulldowns 3 sets 10
Skull crushers 3 sets 8
Squats 3 sets 10
Calf raises 3 sets 15

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 12:34 AM   #2

jtm HB User
Re: Is 2 days a week enough for gaining muscle mass?

Two days is definetly enough. I work out two days a week and sometimes only once and I am able to gain a good amount of muscle. What I do is lift more less repetitions. This will give you the most muscle gains. I make sure I leave there hurting because since I might not get back to the gym for a week I need to make sure I got a good workout. You can either lift more less repitions or spend much more time at the gym then usual to compensate for working out twice a week.

Last edited by jtm; 11-16-2006 at 12:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
(male)

frogthedon HB User

I definitely agree, two days a week is more than enough, because your muscles grow while resting not in the gym, I workout twice a week also, sometimes once a week, but I redeem myself if I only workout once by hitting the weights intensely hard. but anyway I workout chest, biceps, and triceps on one day, rest three days, then workout my shoulders, back, abs, and legs. The next morning you should be to sore to even workout again anyway, so just make sure you get enough protein, carbs, calories and rest. Also don't forget to include deadlifts and squats somewhere in your workouts, this is where powerful strength and overall mass comes from. also the squats and deadlifts will help your lowerr back, and help you build a wider waist and thicker frame overall!

Old 11-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
(male)

chancer HB User

2 days a week? No way! Maybe it's because of my genetics--I'm really skinny. The only possible way for me to gain muscle mass is to go the gym atleast 4 times a week consistently for atleast one month. And even then, I usually only get a little bigger and mostly cut. All of the swoll people at golds gym go more than 3 times a week.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:24 PM   #5

jtm HB User

It really depends on the person really. Some can some cant. Try doing twice a week and if you arent satisfied do longer workouts or try three days a week.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #6
(male)

ironjam HB User

I actually find it more effective (for me atleast) to workout twice a week than say 3-4 times/week. i grow faster...ecspecially if your lifting heavy and intense..your body needs rest

Old 11-19-2006, 09:11 PM   #7

jtm HB User

I totally agree however I go only twice a week because my gym is so crowded all the time. You seriously cant get a good workout there Monday-Thursday.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

I knew a guy who went to my gym that only worked out once a week. He was so busy that he couldn't get to the gym any other day besides Sunday. He would do a whole body workout with all of the major lifts and he kept all of his muscle, look, etc. It's definately possible.

Closed Thread