It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
(male)

Musicdude HB User
Is it safe to work out everyday?

I run/walk for a full hour everyday and lift weights for an hour. Is it safe to workout everyday or should i do it every other day?

Old 12-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
(male)

CrisN HB User
Re: Is it safe to work out everyday?

Well it all depends. What do you want to do get big. Be "cut". Or be a runner. Becuase it takes diffrent workouts to get to those area. Its not just noe workout works for all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Do NOT lift weights 7 days a week. As far as doing some amount of exercise everyday, thats great. However, just make sure that you are not doing higher intensity exercises (weightlifting, running, cycling) everyday. Give yourself at least 2 days off a week. If you want to walk everyday then enjoy!

Old 12-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
(male)

GentlemanJim HB User

If you just work one body part per day 7x/week is not a problem. I try to hit each muscle 2x every 8 days.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Just to further expound, if you lift everyday (same muscle groups), you're not allowing your muscles enough time to recover and muscle growth occurs *during recovery*, not in the gym. So use a split if you want to lift several days in a row, but like MaxOT said, allow a couple non lifting days each week to let the muscles repair.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:10 PM   #6
(male)

Musicdude HB User

Well what i really am looking at for my goal is to just lose a few pounds with my running and to get a bit buffer and get my muscles bigger, its not that i want to become a full time advanced runner or anything.

So would it be ok to run everyday but lift every other day? or should i allow 2 days in between everytime i lift?

Old 12-13-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
(male)

Musicdude HB User

oh and is it ok to do crunches everyday also? i really want to get my abs to look good

Old 12-13-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
(female)

ktt HB User

Musicdude,

From the weight training books I've read they recommend that you rest and recover whatever muscle group you've worked for 48 hours so if you work your upper body on Mon you would then lift on Thurs rhose same muscles. Today I did lowe body and abs and will do it again on Sat. You can sort out whatever muscles you work and do it in a variety of ways but I find it easiest to do upper and lower and abs with the lower. You need that rest time because lifting creates microscopic tears in the muscle that will be repaired bigger and stronger. If you lift too often you're sabotaging yourself.
Cardio you can do everyday although most runners give themselves a day off each week.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicdude
Well what i really am looking at for my goal is to just lose a few pounds with my running and to get a bit buffer and get my muscles bigger, its not that i want to become a full time advanced runner or anything.

So would it be ok to run everyday but lift every other day? or should i allow 2 days in between everytime i lift?
Every other day is not so bad, but if you're bent on lifting 4x or more a week you just need to figure out a split so you're not working the *same muscles* so often.
Running on off days is fine though.

Closed Thread