It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
(female)

cat3883 HB User
Early Morning Cardio Question

I have read many threads about morning cardio but my question is how soon after early morning cardio should I eat? I do cardio 6 days a week first thing in the morning. Sometimes it is at 5:30 and other times it is at 9:00. It all depends on what time I get up. At 5:30 I will do cardio then shower and then sometimes lie back down for about 45 minutes before I start my day. Is it ok to eat after I wake up after my little nap or should I eat before I lie down? Some people have told me I should eat right away and other people have told me to wait about an hour as my body is still burning fat after I am done with my cardio workout. Can someone please help me understand the right way to do this. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twiceblessed HB User
Re: Early Morning Cardio Question

I have always heard you want to eat something small immediately afterwards to help speed muscle recovery.

My bigger question is, how in the world do you lay back down and nap after a cardio workout?? I am always way to pumped up and energized to do that! Interesting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
(female)

cat3883 HB User

Lol, others have asked me that same question. I am anemic. Although I take vitamins and a prescription iron pill I still get pretty tired. And my cardio workout is an all out 45-60 minute high intensity session. The reason I try to lie back down is I go to the gym at 9:00 am 4-5 days a week and strength train with a personal trainer. If I get a little nap in I am much stronger for my workout.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
(male)

friej HB User

Physiologically your body does different things during different activities, e.g. after you eat you should wait a couple of hours before exercising because exercising would interrupt the digestion process causing nausea, cramping etc..
You shouldn't eat just before sleeping because the body is physically prepping to sleep and digestion would interfere. I'm personally not hungry for at least an hour after a workout. I would also wait at least an hour before eating so heart rate and any other cardio activity has returned to normal.

I've trained very hard for many years in martial arts and this is something I've been taught, have read and personally practice.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

However, in the case of exercise, regardless of sleep, you should have a *little* something right after your cardio so that your body does not start cannibalizing your lean muscle in lieu of any other available nutrients. Even a few sips of juice or a couple nuts will suffice if you're going to nap. If you're up for the day, have your breakfast right after your cardio. Waiting too long is detrimental to your body in the long term. Your body regulates itself within about 10 to 30 minutes after cardio so theres no need whatsoever to wait so long.

Last edited by Naxis; 01-09-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Closed Thread