It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
(male)

dgriz73 HB User
Early morning exercise question

I have read several articles recently about the dangers of exercising first thing in the morning. Things about blood vessels being more restricted, higher likeliness of heart attack or stroke. My question is, how long after I have gotten out of bed does it become safer for me to run. I usually run about 4.5 to 5 miles.
Is one hour after I have awakened long enough to wait? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Early morning exercise question

I have never heard anything like that, but I also don't know anyone that can hop out of bed, put on the shoes and go straight out the door. Unless you have a pre-existing medical condition (which should place certain limitations on your exercise regimen to begin with), there's no reason not to exercise as soon as you feel awake and energized enough to do it. I have been doing cardio every morning within 30 to 60 minutes of waking up for around a decade with no adverse effects. Unless you're at a higher risk of heart attack or stroke, you should be just fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I've regularly exercised in the morning, starting about 20 minutes after waking up. In fact, I prefer exercising early. I love being awake early, I'm a morning person...it's kind of a drag when my husband and I go to the gym because we have to go after he gets home from work and my body would definitely prefer it to be in the morning.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
(female)

AmandaH HB User

I have been doing cardio in the morning (within an hour of waking) for several years also. I actually have more energy in the am and I'm happy to be done with my exercise for the day.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:28 AM   #5
(female)

ktnap HB User

If I don't exercise early in the morning, I don't get it in. I've heard those reports too and decided maybe the warning is for those unfit and/or just starting out..(?)

Frankly, until I ready your post I had forgotten all about that finding. There are so many conflicting health "facts" out there in regard to exercise/diet....

I just go with what has worked for me. I've been doing cardio first thing in the morning for about 20 years... I can't imagine it is all of a sudden a bad thing just because somebody did a study on it.

I would think it'd be fine to carry on as you have if you have had no ill effects from doing so these past few years.

Closed Thread