It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2000, 03:57 PM   #1

MomOf3 HB User
Post Anyone Here?

I thought I would start coming here, maybe the tone will be different. I am struggling with low-carbing and just can't seem to do it 100% (which is the only way it will work). Can anyone help me get it together?

Thank you!

Old 11-09-2000, 08:30 AM   #2

Bluize HB User
Smile

I was a nutritionist in my previous career (I'm a chemist now). Anyway, just thought I would add my "two cents".

Limiting intake of any one food group is not a good idea. The best way to become healthy and stay healthy is to eat a balanced diet of ALL the food groups.

My suggestion would be to really look within yourself and find out what your dietary problem is (for example, I eat way too much sugar.) Then, go with fixing that area of your diet.

Also, (I'm assuming here) my experience has been that people who do eat well don't exercise enough. I can't stress the importance of exercise. You'll be able to eat whatever you want within reason of course and not have to worry about it if you start a serious workout and stick to it. By the way, running is a fabulous way to get healthy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2000, 11:00 AM   #3

pumped HB User
I read your message about low carbing. You are absolutely right - It must be a 100% effort on your part. Here's what worked for me...
I wrote down everything that I ate or drank(not water - Drink at least one gallon of water daily). I did this on a daily basis, Totaling each catagory at the end of the day. I have done it by totaling at the end of each meal also(whichever you prefer)- I made sure my protien intake was high enough to support muscle growth, and that I did consume some fat - tried to keep that as close to 10% of total calories as possible. As far as carbs go, that was more difficult. I cut back slowly at first, eating about 2 grams/ pound of bodyweight. As I got closer to my deadline date I cut back more (around 1g/1lb.) 1 week prior to my deadline date I carb depleted for 4 days - as close to the big goose egg as humanly possible - it's not easy. I lost over 3 inches from my waist going from almost a 36" waist to just over a 32" waist (19.6% bodyfat to 8.9%)- And I kept my muscle mass.
You'll need a good food scale, patience and a lot of discipline and self control. I planned my meals in advance. Make sure to cook extra protien and keep it handy because when you really start cutting the carbs you'll be hungry more often.
I don't know what type of exercising you are involved in. Mine is weights, and at the time cardio 2x/week -45min sessions. You've got to be as dedicated to the exercise portion as the meals portion.
Finally, don't go by the scaleto measure your progress, especially if you train with weights. Use a tape measure to see your progress. Also stand in front of a mirror naked or in a bikini to monitor you progress. Different clothing can make you look better or worse and you're looking for the honest results.
This worked for me - GOOD LUCK !!

[This message has been edited by pumped (edited 11-09-2000).]

Old 11-13-2000, 01:51 PM   #4

MomOf3 HB User
Thank you, both for replying to my post. I do exercise on average 5 times a week for at least an hour each time. I have been doing this since the beginning of April 2000. I have only lost 10 pounds, but I have lost 15 inches or so. I love working out and I almost feel guilty if I don't go. lol

Anyway, that is why I think I need to do away with white flour and sugar (that is really what I mean by low-carbing). Of course, I still intend to eat my fresh salads and include veggies on a daily basis and fruit too, but not as much. I am just so addicted to chocolate and baked goods, sourdough bread if it is in front of me, forget it! lol I don't eat much pasta anymore, but when I do you can bet that it will be a large serving and when I am done it makes me feel sick anymore. I don't eat until I am stuffed to the max, but the pasta seems to irritate my tummy. I guess the answer to that one, is don't eat it anymore! lol

Thanks again for your suggestions/help.

Closed Thread