It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2000, 12:52 PM   #1

MomOf3 HB User
Unhappy Need motivation and have a question...

I am getting pretty frustrated. I have been going to the gym for several months now and I am not losing much weight at all. I go on average about 5 times per week. I do cardio every time and I used to do weights just as much but alternating upper and lower body work outs. For the past month or so I have considerably slowed down on my weight training since I started a running program and increased my cardio time. I would run out of time and not be able to stay and do my weights, maybe only 2 times per week.

The thing is, I know that the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism becomes and you burn more calories. I really need to lose weight, not just increase muscle anymore. I am in much better shape cardiovascularly, but still have that excess fat and need to lose it. So my question is, and I probably already know the answer, what is more important to lose fat/weight? Is it lots and lots of cardio, like 45 min per day 5 times a week or 45 min 3 times and 30 min 2 times per week with 20 min weights. What should I do? Thank you.

Old 11-15-2000, 03:25 PM   #2
Cranlite

Straight cardio doesn't work for everyone. I went through a 5 month basic training program 7 years ago and for the first 3 months I didn't loose a single pound despite running ALL the time. then in the 3rd month I started doing weight training and cut out all juice and soda and boom right away started loosing.
first off don't cut out those wieghts!!! it really does help you burn more calories and muscle weighs more than fat. If you do more repetitions of lower amounts of wieghts it will boost your matabolism and tone you instead of bulking you up. The key there is to do more of a less heavy amount. I would really urge you to keep them up every other day for 30 min! Also check into speed walking instead of running, speed walking actually burns more calories since running carries your forward with momentum- but the walking you have to continually push to do. Before I got pg i was doing this 3 times a week and lost 4 sizes which really is more important than the exact weight. As long as you are loosing inches your good. I can't wait to have this baby and get back to work, i was finally making progress and I am way tired of bedrest!!!

Steph/Cranlite

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2000, 08:58 PM   #3

MomOf3 HB User
Smile

Thank you so much for your reply! I really needed to hear that, to stick with the weights. I mean, I pretty much knew it already, but it helps to hear it from someone else. I haven't made it to the gym yet this week, but tomorrow, Friday and Saturday for sure! I will be doing cardio and weights definately! Thank you again. And good luck with your pregnancy! I know what you mean about how you can't wait for the baby to come out. I was pregnant for 3 years in a row! No joke! I have 3 children and ages 3, 4, and 5. Sometimes I think my body is still screwed up from all that! lol Take care!

Old 11-25-2000, 04:15 AM   #4

My Kids Dad HB User
I have to agree with Cranlite as far as the weights are concerned. Muscle does weigh more then fat, and if it is the "weight" you are concerned about ... well .... it's hardly ever going to balance out. First off though (and I heard this long ago, and did it), get rid of the scales. Don't judge yourself by your weight, but judge by the way your clothes fit ... and more importantly .... how you feel about yourself!

Healthwise .. Cardio is better for you anyway. Gotta keep that plumbing workiing right, or the rest is a waste of time!

[i]Have a Great Day ! ! !

Dave

Old 11-27-2000, 05:27 AM   #5

My Kids Dad HB User
Please check out the forum called "Diet & Nutrition" .... and join in on our buddy system!

There's nothing like a little support when it comes to things like diet and exercise!

Check it out and pass the word!

Dave

Old 11-30-2000, 01:08 PM   #6

punkin HB User
Join in the buddy system on diet and nutrition. It has to help motivate us, I just joined. Hope to see you there. Elaine

Old 12-28-2000, 11:40 AM   #7

deidlers HB User
Cool

oh, when i read what you said... i know exactly that frustration, and i know it very well. months of jumping rope, videos, anything to lose weight, but nothing worked.
i began walking a lot, a lot! and i gradually started slimming down. then i hit the weights. and then, very quickly: hot bod! the weight training dramatically accerated the rate of weight loss/muscle gain.
one thing: eat. don't get into a dysfunctional relationship with food. eat, and eat often. little bagels here, apples there, get your food. it's good for you. skipping meals is bad karma. we all deserve good food in our bellies!

i messed up my hip running, and have taken 2 weeks off of all exercise until my gym opens again.
thanks for your submission, you've gotten me excited about getting started again!

Old 12-30-2000, 09:17 PM   #8
chillin408

for fat loss,diet is the most important thing,if u could only chose one between diet and cardio, u should pick diet, u probably eat too many carbs,

before u try to switch around your diet, u should try a ephedrine caffeine supplement,or a supplement called lipokinetix or adipokinetix, if u have already tried it and u got no results,then i would change your diet,but first if i were u i would just try the supplement and see if u get results from that,studies show that ephedrine and caffeine added to a excercise program,the ephedrine caffeine groups have more lean body mass at the end, that means the ones that did not use ephedrine and caffinee,lost more muscle,so at the end they looked like they lost less weight

Old 01-02-2001, 08:39 AM   #9

gainfreak HB User
There can be a lot of reasons why you are not loosing weight by doing cardio ! one reason which is the most common is diet. How many times a day do you eat? and how many calories a day do you consume? What do you eat? When you do your cardio, do you do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach?? And when you do cardio are you keeping up the intensity?? Beleive it or not,all of these factors matter. So what do I recommend? Dont cut your calories to much, all fat burning will stop because your body will think that its starving and it will try to hold on to the fat!!Also you should eat 5 or six small meals throughout the day spaced apart every 2 to 3 hours. if you dont eat 5 or six small meals throughout the day, your metabolism will slow down. Each meal should contain a portion of protein, carbohydrates and a healthy fat(peanut butter-flax oil-olive oil) Also start weightlifting again!! Do all of your cardio on an empty stomach. when you do your cardio, keep the intensity up (how many times did you go to the gym and see that one lady or man doing cardio every day and month after month, they look the same???) And you can also use a fat burner like ripped fuel. I hope this helps

[This message has been edited by gainfreak (edited 01-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 02-21-2001).]

Closed Thread