It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2000, 05:02 PM   #1
(female)

SabresLover81 HB User
Post John Nixon Desperately Needed!!!!

Hey John i've read some messages you have posted to other members and thought maybe you could help me out. I bought a total training magazine that had some weight training info in it and i started the workout, i've only been doing it for a couple days but i want to know if i'm doing it right. I've been doing Bench presses 40lbs, 15 reps. Front raises with 8lb weights 20-25 reps. Alternate dumbbell curls with 8lb weights 20-25 reps. Concentration curls with 8lb weights 20-25 reps. Seated tricep presses 16lbs 20reps. I also do Tae-bo regularly. I've been doing this routine for the past 3 days, I know that whole system i'm doing is probably out of whack so any advice and help would be appreciated! With a routine like i'm doing could you estimate when i would start seeing results? Thanks and have a great day! One more question i seen a commercial for the body by jake Bun and Thigh rocker, do you know/think if that works? and is worth the money thanks! PLEASE RESPOND!

Old 12-28-2000, 07:53 PM   #2
John Nixon

Hi SabresLover (interesting name!):
Thanks for your confidence in my help. Let's see...before I give you specific suggestions, I need more info. Pls answer these questions:
Age, sex, experience with weight training/exercise in general, any injuries (such as bad knees, back, etc.), goals (short term and long term), typical week's diet. Plus anything else you can think that would help me help you.
I do not have any experience with Tae-bo but from my observations, it looks like a good aerobic workout. The only thing I caution people about this is to work into it gradually. All that sudden kicking and punching can lead to muscle tears or joint problems if you're not properly prepared. I would hold off on the Bun and Thigh Rocker if I were you. You will find that I am skeptical of those types of equipment. Anyway, as soon as you answer the above questions, I will see what I can do for you. Enjoy your workouts!
JOHN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2000, 12:02 PM   #3
(female)

SabresLover81 HB User
Smile

Hey John, thanks for replying! I really appreciate it! Here's the answers to your questions: I'm a 19/f, about a year and a half ago i weighed 230 now i'm down to 185 and can't seem to go anywhere lower. I lost those pounds by doing tae-bo everyday and by using a stairstepper. i also cut back on my pizza and wings and c/f subs (i'm originally from Buffalo,Ny lol) Before the holidays (i've been slacking) i was speed walking about 2-3 miles a day and i noticed that doing that gave me some definition in my legs which i loved, so should i keep doing that? I also do tae-bo still about 3-4 times a week. I have one bad knee my right one which i don't know whats wrong with, i used to be into cheerleading when i was thin and did that religiously. Everytime i bend down it cracks loudly from lack of cartilage maybe i don't know and when i push myself to far walking it feels like i have arthritis in it or something- it just hurts alot. But Tae-bo doesn't effect it at all because it never hurts after i do that. I know the biggest problem i have is that i don't drink nearly enuff water, i usually go for Nestea Icetea, or pepsi but our docter took my brother off of those because of all the caffeine so i don't drink them anymore now just caffeine free pepsi or water here and there. Now for what i eat i know i'm not over eating because in the morning i have like a peice of toast or a bagel and then i'm good for the rest of the day till dinner but sometimes which is rarely i'll have a can of soup in between. Dinner i usually have chicken with veggies or hamburgers with mashed potatoes...so maybe i should cut back on the beef. Whatever you recommend i'm going to follow so any advice would be great! My goal is to lose weight so i can fit into all of my old clothes and plus i want to be healthy so i don't have to face these problems when i get older and it might be to late to deal with them then. Thanks again i can't wait for your response! Was that weight training i told you about before right? Have a great day!

Old 01-11-2001, 09:58 PM   #4
John Nixon

Sorry I took so long to reply. Been a busy New Year for me...
Regarding your diet, don't get too disappointed that you're stuck at 185. You've made great strides from 235. The body always fights change and your's has managed to settle for a bit. You should though, eat three good meals a day with plenty of water as you suggested. You can't go wrong if your total calories per day are 30% fat, 20% protein and 50% carboydrates consisting of fruits, vegetables and complex carbos that will curb our appetite more. This diet will also lower your cholesterol and blood pressure; both health related items you referred to. Be patient with your weight loss and always plan your weekly meals. Don't just wing it at the grocery store; plan sensibly and you'll not only eat better, but you'll save money. Now, your workout plan...do be careful of that knee you said hurts. The joint actually makes that cracking sound because there's not enough fluid around the joint so warm up slowly. What I'd suggest is 2 days a week of walking, 2 days of Tae Bo and 2 days of weight training. Train the entire body those two days and eliminate the concentration curls and seated triceps press (this exercise puts your elbow joint in a vunerable position). Find an exercise you can work your legs that does not hurt your knee. I'd suggest 8-10 exercises, 2-3 sets each of 8-10 reps. This type of regime should not only begin you on your weight loss, but make you very healthy and your body hard! Good luck and let me know if I can be of further help...
JOHN

Closed Thread