It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2000, 11:37 AM   #1
Angeline

Cool trying to lose

Hi all! I just wanted to say that I've been struggling with 10 pounds for a long time now...i can't seem to get rid of it. I buy into all the commercial hype--pills, equipment, I even bought an abslide (even though I returned it!). I follow a strict vegan diet (but I do still eat sugar, no honey though) and I think that my problem to this day is POTATO CHIPS. i kicked the habit for a few weeks in the summer and almost automatically dropped 5-7 pounds! It was awesome! I was also doing taebo--guys, i swear by it. It tones you and gets you feeling excellent! I had to stop with school starting again, and I'm back to my chubby 127 pounds (I'm 5'4") and I can't stand it. But I thought I would share my addictions with all of you...those damn potato chips and nathan's french fries.

Feel Free To Respond!

Old 11-29-2000, 12:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Angeline, you said it there in your last sentence "...those damn potato chips and nathan's french fries." Potatos, like sugar, are nothing more than empty calories that raise your insulin levels (the fat storing hormone). And the worst part may be that chips and fries are most likely fried in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils which are high in trans fatty acids and have been linked to cancer. If you really want to lose that extra fat, you will most likely have to cut out the junk food. And if you are eating a lot of high sugar fruit (dried fruits in particular are very high in sugar content), this will just compound your problem by further raising insulin levels which will transport the glucose into your fat cells unless you are working out vigorously and burning up the sugar as fast as you are taking it in.

Just curious, but why do you follow a vegetarian diet? For moral reasons or because you believe that it is healthy? Another question: what is your bloodtype? "A" by chance?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2000, 11:02 AM   #3
Angeline

Well, I follow the vegan diet for mostly moral reasons, that's why I started. I was lacto-ovo vegetarian for a year before I cut out cheese and milk and everything like that. I just can't stand the thought of ever eating an animal or product again.

I'm not sure of my blood type, but I totally see what you're saying about cutting out the junk food. Because of IBS, I don't really drink soda or coffee (caffiene is bad!) and I try to stay away from wheat and other things. It's also another reason for me to be vegan. So are you suggesting (just to be clear) to cut out fatty things like chips and fries, steer clear of sugars, and basically do cardio work outs?

Please respond!!!

Old 11-30-2000, 04:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Hi Angeline,

What I was saying about the junk food is avoid partially hydrogenated vegetable oils. Most high polyunsataturated fats (corn oil, soybean oil, cottonseed oil, etc.) should also be avoided in my opinion due to their unstable nature and tendency to oxidize. Saturated fat (butter, coconut oil, palm oil) are naturally stable and healthy. Monounsaturated fats like olive oil and canola oil to a lesser extent are also good choices. If you want to know more about good fat vs. bad fat, do an internet search for articles written by Dr. Mary Enig. Basically, any fat that was available for human consumption 100 years ago is probably healthy.

It's not really the fat in your diet that makes you fat, but the sugars and starches that raise insulin levels and get converted to fat. How do they fatten a cow or hog for market? Feed them grain (high in carbohydrates). Which are the leanest animals in nature? Predators that eat little if any carbohydrates.

And for long term weight loss I recommend weight training over cardio because the increased muscle mass will burn more calories 24/7 than the cardio workouts and most people are able to stick with it long term. Plus it improves your appearance in my opinion. I don't mean to go overboard with it, but just build a little muscle mass by doing resistance exercises. It can be as simple as push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, arm curls with dumbbells, etc. But if you are not eating enough protein on a vegan diet, then you don't have the building blocks (amino acids) to build muscle mass. And soybean products are not a viable protein source in my opinion, so what are you to do? Alan S.

Old 12-02-2000, 08:00 AM   #5
Angeline

Hi again!
Well, in my opinion, soy is a fine source of protein, and I'm getting enough. I do value your advice, however, and will definitely try to incorportate more weight training in my workouts. Sometimes I do lift 5 pound weights or somthing like that, but never really felt that it was doing anything to get rid of my gut! (do you know what I mean?)

Anyway, thanks for all the advice!

(And I'm going to ignore your comment about "fattening up pigs for market" even though I could be offended! )

Thanks again!

Feel Free to Respond

Old 12-10-2000, 10:41 AM   #6
Inactive

Shaelle HB User
I had a nasty potato chip habit too. I just loved those things. But now I can easily do without them. What helped me kick them is those fat free chips, those olestra ones. I kept buying them and buying them and they didn't seem to give me any of the bowel symptoms that you are warned of. Anyways after a while, they just didn't do it for me anymore. I don't know what it was, but I can care less now if I have chips. I even buy the regular full of fat chips, and they just sit around the house for my husband to eat.

Old 12-27-2000, 02:03 PM   #7

Curt HB User
Hi,

I think Chillin is right. Reduce your carbs and increase your proteins. That in combination with some light to moderate excercise... and the weight will melt away. You need lean body mass to burn calories, and it takes protein and excercise to build that mass.

How you accomplish that on a vegetarian diet is a challenge I'm sure.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-14-2001, 11:24 AM   #8

Little Gibby HB User
Red face

Hey! I just had to reply to this because I am also 5'4" and 127 pounds!!! Well I WAS at least. now I am down to 120. I have learned that the best way to loose some pounds is by cardiovascular. I LOVE to eat, and I know I just can't stop. this is what I do: I wake up and have a slim fast. I eat lunch, and dinner. and thats it. sometimes I'll have a snack or so but I have cut down BIG TIME on how much I eat. I do alot of cardio exercises that i love. I play lots of sports-volleyball,softball,basketball. and I just go outside for abour 30-40 and play some basketball or take a jog, then I come in and I do some crunches or jump rope(jump roping is a GREAT way to get fit belive it or not). All of my fat has traveled to my "tummy area" and it is so chubby it makes me sick. lol. So I wish you good luck and If you have any kind of exercises or anything that you have found works drop me a line. Oh.. and you dont have to give up the chips..just cut down on them. if you start doing more cardio workouts you'll burn it off anyways! Good Luck!

Little Gibby

Old 01-17-2001, 10:15 AM   #9
Angeline

Thanks for the advice guys...

It's perfectly healthy to be vegetarian, go ask any doctor. Besides that, it makes me happy, and what's a better way to be healthy than to be eternally happy? I feel like I'm doing my part to make the world a better place.

I read in a magazine that people with my body type wouldn't keep off weight from just doing cardio workouts, but that lifting small weights would do the trick. I know that I should be doing that anyway, but it's hard for me to get out to the gym. Has anyone else heard it?

I too have a gut and that's the only place that "needs work", relatively speaking. I'm not "fat" I just need toning (the 10 lbs I spoke of doesn't seem so realistic as just toning my abs and butt). I know that "all" of my calories come from carbs but that's the way I choose to live. There is no way on earth I will ever go back to eating meat, dairy or eggs, especially for a superficial reason like losing a few pounds. I'd rather be healthy and a little chubby, than immoral and thin.

That's just my opinion, guys.

------------------
Feel Free to Respond!

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 01-18-2001).]

Old 01-17-2001, 03:01 PM   #10

gainfreak HB User
I respect your decision to be a vegetarian, but it will be harder for you to get leaner.
Realize that I said harder, not impossible!!!
In answer to your question, it is better to combine weight training and cardio, because to much cardio without resistance training will make you loose weight but it will also make you loose muscle. I know a lot of people who lost a lot of weight by doing cardio alone but they still had the same percentage of bodyfat but at a lower weight and they still had love handles and they freaked!!
If you want to tone up your stomach, you are going to have to change your diet(you can still be a vegitarian!!).
From what I read about you, I dont think that you are consuming enough protein
When you are trying to lose fat, you should increase your protein intake, In your case, I'd recommend Soy protein(natural soy not processed soy!). Your carbs should come from natural unprocessed sources such as whole grains Potatoes Brown rice(be careful of whole wheat products, some people develope allergies.) As far as ratios go, you should try to consume 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight and 1 gram of carbs per pound of bodyweight(a 1 to 1 ratio) and you should limit your fat to 20-30 grams a day(comming from healthy fats such as olive oil/flax oil/peanutbutter)Basically if you weigh 130lbs you should eat 130 grams of protein and 130 grams of carbs a day. You also should try to eat 5 or six small meals a day(a meal every 2 to 3 hours) -this will keep you metabolism in check. As far as calories per day goes, you can start by taking your bodyweight and multiplying it by ten.(for example if you weigh 130lbs you would eat 1300 calories a day to start) If you dont loose weight lower your calories(weigh yourself weekly not everyday!!). I guarantee if you do your tybo and incorperate some weight training/diet your stomach will be a thing of the past.!!

[This message has been edited by gainfreak (edited 01-18-2001).]

Old 01-23-2001, 10:42 PM   #11

akmtns HB User
I hear all about all these new diets and sure it all looks great. No fat, no carbs, ect...can someone tell me if I just exercise more and cut down my fat is it possible to loose weight? Or should I start with a different diet like no carbs? I just don't know which thing to try now? I do not eat mcuh meat at all maybe turkey but no red meat. If anyone has any ideas please let me know? Thanks in advance

Old 02-15-2004, 09:50 AM   #12

Bmxnangelbabe HB User
Re: trying to lose

Hello Angeline..

I am a 15-year old girl, 5'4, same height as you are. I weigh 115 pounds, although it's not fat. Considering you say you weigh 125?? That's honestly not that much weight, depending on what areas it is. I don't know how old you are, but I know that I still think my thighs and stomach are a bit too big. I'm not fat, at ALL, just dont have "perfect" abs like some bodybuilders and models. All I do to train/workout is ride my bike 4 nights a week (I BMX race), for about an hour each night, I lift 3 pound weights once a day, punch on my punching bag every other day, and do yoga everyday. Simple things like that, lifting small weights, yoga, riding my bike, really HELP when you stick to them and do them consistently. So, that's my opinion. Do whatever feels right to YOU, because nobody knows your body better than you do, but stick to it. And believe in yourself.

Old 02-15-2004, 11:21 AM   #13
(female)

snwflkcty HB User
Re: trying to lose

Those last 10 lbs are hard to lose. I lost mine by replacing junky snacks with fruits and vegetables. Everytime I was in the mood for a snack, I would grab a bag of baby carrots and eat them raw or peel and orange or anything! It was actually pretty good and made me feel good too. Oh yeah, I also exercised for atleast 30 min. a day, about 5 days a week. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread