It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2001, 08:47 AM   #1

softspoken HB User
Post My calves and shins burn when I walk please help

I have been walking about 3 times a week for the last month. Recently when I walk my calves and shins burn horribly. I can't even continue to walk when this happens. It usually happens a little ways into the walk. I tried doing some stretches but it doesn't seem to help. Anyone know why this might be happening?

Old 10-08-2001, 08:33 AM   #2
(female)

Scooter HB User
Hi, I used to have this problem also. Now before I walk I stand on a step or something similar and let my heels hang off for about 1 min for a great calf stretch. To stretch your shins sit on the floor with legs straight out and point your toes forward as heard as you can for about 1 min. Also you should use the first 4-5 min of your walk as a slow warm up. Walks slowly, concentrating on flexing those muscles that give you trouble. Then proceed to your regular speed. Hope this helps!

------------------
***Sorrow looks behind, Worry looks around, Faith looks up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2001, 03:51 PM   #3

softspoken HB User
Thanks so much for the help, I hated to quit walking because I want to get in shape. Thanks again

Old 10-08-2001, 05:48 PM   #4

badgurl69 HB User
It's really weird huh, I also get this problem and I'm pretty fit. I don't know exactly what it is either, but I'm gonna try the stretching as well to see if that helps.

P.S oes it only happen when you walk fast? I'm fine when I'm walking normally, but my lower legs get really sore if I'm walking fast.

Old 10-08-2001, 08:12 PM   #5
(female)

Scooter HB User
I'm not an expert, but it seems so me that this occurs b/c the muscles are being over-taxed due to lack of an adequate warm-up. If i walk fast first off, they get tired and sore, but if i start medium or slow for about 10 min or so, they seem to adjust to a higher speed well.

PS- your welcome softspoken.

------------------
***Sorrow looks behind, Worry looks around, Faith looks up.

Old 10-09-2001, 06:39 PM   #6

Stephy_Poo HB User
Hey, are you talking about a pain shooting up your shin? cuz thats what I get, its herts really bad, but only comes when I am walking fast!

Old 10-10-2001, 06:17 AM   #7

softspoken HB User
No mine isn't necessarily when I am walking fast. It happens when I first start off and walk slow. I don't get very far and "BAM" the pain starts. I didn't just start walking, I have been doing it for several months but this just started a couple of weeks ago. I didn't have this problem when I first started walking.

Old 10-10-2001, 04:41 PM   #8

badgurl69 HB User
Yep mine happens when I'm walking fast,not if I'm walking normally - usually.

Closed Thread