It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2002, 05:39 AM   #1

sdillon HB User
Unhappy Painful shin muscles?

Hi

I hope I am in the correct forum topic here. I am a 27 year old guy and I am fairly active playing soccer. For the past few months though I have been having such painful shins. I have to walk for about 15 minutes to get to the train station after work and after walking for quite a while the muscles in the front of my shins get so sore. If I run they are no as sore but when I stop they are very painful and I also seem not to be able to control my feet. They seem to hang, if you know what I mean, the muscle attached to them on the shin is sore and my feet kind of slap when I walk.

Is this shin slints? I thought that affected your shin bone and not your muscle on the shin?

has anyone got any idea what is wrong and if so what I should do about it.

Thanks

Old 03-21-2002, 07:29 AM   #2

Debra Noel HB User
I am not entirely certain, but it does sound like shin splints. I recently started training for a half marathon, and I have had very sore shin bones and the muscle on the front of my lower legs. It has improved since I have gotten more accustomed to the mileage I am doing, but I also know that my shoes are crap. Shoes make a big difference. It may also be how you are walking. When I walk my sister-in-law's dog (big lab) My shin muscles kill me the next day. I think in some way the pulling injures them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2002, 07:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
That definitely sounds like shin splints. It's kind of a misnomer, since it really isn't a skeletal condition, but muscular (sometimes it hurts so deeply, it feels like you have damaged the shin bone). This happens when significant strain has been put on the muscles near the shin (used to flex the ankle). I get this a lot if I overdo it running. The best thing you can do is rest them. Give it a week. I understand you probably *have* to walk to the train station, but don't run for a week or so. The muscles are telling you they need to recover from some kind of damage. Try compression, massage and heat, if they are really sore. It will speed healing and ease the pain. If none of this helps and it becomes a chronic problem, check with a physician. If it is a bigger problem at the root of it all, you should address it as soon as possible. Good luck!
Naxis

Old 03-21-2002, 08:40 AM   #4

sdillon HB User
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have been walking pretty quickly after work to try and catch my train. And my work shoes are not the best. I am going to leave earlier and take a slow walk to the train, and also look at getting new shoes.

Thanks again

Closed Thread