It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
(male)

loki414 HB User
Question Need assistance building

could someone please help me out. im 20 year old male 5'11" and i weigh about 135lbs. i want to get on a body building program. i have built a little befor but lost it all. i know the basics but what i want to know a couple little things. about how much protein or other suppliments should i be taking on average?how many days would be best to work out (i would like to do 4 to 5 but i could use someone elses opinion)? also i struggle to build upperbody i want to know if what would be some good chest/tri and back/bicep workouts? and finally what is a good way to increase my bench? ps keep in mind i plan to be very comitted and hope to build as much as my body type will allow.

thanks
loki414

Last edited by loki414; 02-22-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Need assistance building

First, how long has it been since you exercised? Are you at all conditioned right now? Are you familiar with proper form for different exercises?
If you're basically starting from scratch, I'd recommend a full body workout 2 to 3 time a week for 4 to 6 weeks. It will get you stronger, strengthen your tendons and ligaments, and prepare your body for heavier lifting for more mass. Stick with the basics like dumb bell bench presses (only do barbell if you have a spotter), flyes, rows, pullups, deadlifts, squats, military presses, lateral delt raises, hammer curls, barbell curls, triceps kickbacks, skull crushers, and crunches. One exercise of 4-5 sets for each muscle group with 10-12 reps per set is a good start. Do each rep slow and controlled and you should see some improvement even in the conditioning phase.

After the initial conditioning, you can schedule a split that works only one or two muscle groups per day, for example:
Day 1: chest, triceps
Day 2: legs
Day 3: back, biceps
Day 4: shoulders, abs
For mass, you'll want to up the weight and drop the reps (closer to 6-8 rep range). And remember that it's the recovery time that actually builds the muscle. You just have to make sure you really push yourself in the gym.
As for protein, if you have a fast metabolism, you should be aiming for 1 to 1.5grams per lb of body weight each day. Try to get as much of it from real food as you can, but whey or other protein supplements can help you meet that requirement if you find it difficult to eat that much.
Post workout nutrition is pretty important though. Ideally a whey and dextrose shake right after your workout will speed up the recovery process and get the muscle building going. If you don't have or don't want to go buy dextrose (you can usually find it at Health food stores in the cooking stuff section) white sugar will work. The ratio I use for mass building post workout shakes is 25% body weight in grams of whey protein, 50% bodyweight in grams of carbohydrates (sugar of choice) with water only. In lieu of shakes, a food with protein and carbohydrates is next-best, just make sure you eat right away.
Hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
(male)

loki414 HB User

thanks alot . but actually i have been lifting for about one month pretty consistantly 3-4 days and i used to be very consistant about a year in a half ago so my form is still pretty good. i like my work outs to be as intense as possible. i am the stereotypical ecto body type and i can build my leg strength like nothing its my arms chest back and shoulders that are my hardest. just kind of wondering how i should run my workouts e.g. should i do negatives, 5x5 sets and reps, how many types of lifts could i probaly do on my chest and tri day before i am not getting anything from it? also what other nutrients or suppliments should i take for my body type besides what you have all ready mentioned? thanks agian for everything so far you ve been very helpful . take care

Old 02-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

For now, any rep/set scheme should work, so keep it basic. You chouldn't need to hit the 5x5 or drop sets until you hit a plateau. Just make sure you're consistently overloading the muscles and seeing consistent progress. On any given day, you don't need to lift for more than 1 to 1.5 hours. If you're lifting heavy and not waiting too long between sets, you should be wiped out by the end.
One thing I've found that helps ectos gain better is increasing healthy fats. It's a good way to get healthy, calorie dense nutrients that seem to assist in overall growth. Things like wild salmon, nuts, avocadoes, seeds, olives and olive oils, flax and flax oils. Weight gainer shakes may be helpful, but they tend to be pretty expensive and it's fairly easy to concoct your own. Creatine may help you gain a little faster, but I wouldn't go that route until you hit a plateau. Other than that, most supplements are pretty useless.

Closed Thread