It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2002, 05:58 PM   #1
(male)

Milla HB User
Question Lipokinetix?!?

Hey guys!
I've seen a lot of people recommend Lipokinetix on this message board. However, when I did a google search for lipokinetix, the first link I got was this one: [url="http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/2001/ANS01120.html"]http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/2001/ANS01120.html[/url]
and FDA warning that says that you should NOT use Lipokinetix..........turns out it's killed a few people
I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this are. Is anybody here still using this stuff? Does it really work?
Thanks!

Old 06-12-2002, 06:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
They don't sell it anymore. The thing about Lipokinetix is that it was made with USNIC acid as well as other metabolic enhancers. That causes the body to heat up significantly (similar to the effects of DNP) and when you have a lot of people that don't understand dosage, it gets dangerous. But then, that's why they don't sell it anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2002, 12:17 PM   #3

paper clip HB User
Lipokinetix was made with Sodium Usniate, a concentrated derivative of Usnic Acid. Usnic acid is one of the things originally found in Kombucha and in Old Man's Beard Lichen. The whole lichen form is still available and the FDA warning has not been applied to it. Syntrax, the maker of Lipokinetix, has been under fire for awhile now for various other products that have been pulled by the FDA. Whether or not it was an interaction between Sodium Usniate and PPA in Lipokinetix is an unclear suggestion. It may have to do with whether or not it is a health risk to concentrate and derive materials from Usnic acid.

Additionally, from the reports I have on DNP, neither Usnic acid, Sodium Usniate or Lipokinetix have anywhere near the level of effects of DNP.

Just like with ephedra, caution should be used by those consuming any over the counter product with ingredients not intentionally or originally designed for prolonged or high dose use. Such is the case with Lipokinetix. It may be associated with liver disorders just as the suggestion has been made, but this is IMO solely an issue dealing with Lipokinetix and not with the normal herbal variety of Usnea.

Old 06-12-2002, 01:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
yeah, I have a kombucha culture at home and make my own tea... it seems to be only in concentrated form and when combined with other thermogenics that things get sketchy. Natural usnic is pretty mild.

Old 06-12-2002, 02:56 PM   #5
(male)

Milla HB User
I thought that Lipokinetix had DNP in it? Also, wasn't DNP banned in the 1930's because of all the people that died using it?
I mean, I want to be in good shape, but taking something that destroys people's liver is not cool.

Old 06-12-2002, 09:12 PM   #6

paper clip HB User
No, Lipokinetix did not have DNP in it.

Naxis, I was considering making some kombucha tea as well and I have the directions to do so should I attempt it in the future. I'm using something right now called Yogi Tea which is green tea and kombucha combined. It's pretty good and a couple of cups a day seems to do a milder but more easily tolerated job as Lipokinetix (I can feel my temperature running slightly hotter). What's your general experience with home made kombucha tea? I'm interested. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2002, 05:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
I have tried some of the Yogi tea and I don't think it has near the potency of actual kombucha tea, although it is fast and pretty tasty. The real tea takes some patience and time to make, but it has so many benefits, it's worth it. It also does NOT taste like "tea" just so you know. I haven't noticed so much for fat loss, specifically, but it has helped out with allergies tremendously and I seem to never get sick when I am taking it. If you don't have a culture, I can send you one of mine as soon as it propogates again.

And about DNP... it wasn't exactly "banned" in the 30's. It used to be mined as a component for explosives. Eventually the miners (who did not use any kind of gloves or breathing protection) all got very ill with very high temperatures and eventually started dying. Tests and such started to find out what happened and that's when they found that it is a true thermogenic, raising the body's temperature and burning fat as a result. It is still perfectly legal to purchase and own DNP in it's pure chemical form, but illegal to distribute in a consumable form. It's not easy to get by any means and since it is not regulated, dosage is very sketchy. I wouldn't even consider this a valid option for fat loss due to the HIGH risk. It may be a slow, hard road, but proper diet and exercise gets you to the same destination.

Old 06-21-2002, 06:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Just a quasi-update (primarily for paperclip, if kombucha is still a consideration). I am already on a cutting cycle, so I have been losing fat pretty steadily for the last few weeks, but was curious if the tea was raising body temp/metabolism. When I went to give blood the other day, I was a little surprised to find that my body temp was a little below normal and my blood pressure was quite low. Now, it might have been skewed because I have not slept more than 3 or 4 hours a night for over a week, so sleep dep may have had a hand in it, but it doesn't seem that the tea has had much of an effect in that arena (at least not enough to compensate for the other crap I put myself through). But it is still doing wonders for my allergies.

Closed Thread