It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
(male)

Imjustakiid HB User
Dieting - White Rice

I'm 5'9 and about 162 lbs. I've been going to the gym for the las two months. I've lost about 7 lbs since. I'm trying to get rid of the rest of my belly fat and trying to get some abs and such. To do so I have to be on a good diet and stuff. Now I heard that eating white rice isn't good when on a diet. I come from an Asian family and I still live at home, so eating white rice everyday is normal. I only eat white rice for dinner. Should I stop eating white rice or should I just eat a lower amount each day. I know there are carbs and what not in white rice, but should I completely stop eating white rice until I reach my goal of toning down and getting some abs or just eat less?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User
Re: Dieting - White Rice

I know where you are coming from since I live in china for many years. The average person is lower in weight then here. Some people are against white rice, but I am not fully. We need good carbs, but you need to eliminate refined carbs (bad carbs) such as breads and sugars. We also need a balance, we can’t eat the same thing every day to get total nutrition. I suggest rotating your rice, there are different kinds of rice, brown, long grain, mix it up with your dinner, and some days don’t eat any rice, then the next day eat brown and then the next eat long grain, then white again.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-07-2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: please do not copy from websites

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Dieting - White Rice?

It's not the best food option for losing weight, but it's not going to kill you either. Small portions in a meal with a lot of veggies should be fine. You're losing weight at a healthy rate already, so it sounds like you're definitely on the right track.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
(female)

Valhalla HB User

I too grew up eating white rice with every meal. I had the same dilemma. Should I eat less? Should I give it up? Please, I can't live without it! (Melodramatic, I know. Only those that eat rice with every meal understand! ) I went online trying to find healthy recipes that included rice, thinking that at least I could eat healthy now and deal with the "rice issue" later. I noticed many of these recipes using brown rice instead.

These recipes got me curious about brown rice. So I did some research and tried a few experiments. Now I am hooked! Brown rice gives me a more satisfied and filling experience. No surprise since it packs so much fiber. It is noticibly more "dense", so I do not eat as much of it as I did white rice. Nowadays, I feel bloated when I eat white rice.

I only speak out of my own personal experiences, so I cannot guarantee that you will like it as well. But it should not hurt to give it a try at least.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Valhalla; 03-08-2007 at 12:23 PM.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
(female)

YorkieLuvr HB User

I would love to find out more on this subject. I was speaking with a gentleman I work with recently regarding the Vietnamese diet and how many of their children become obese after adopting an American diet. I don't eat white rice or noodles, yet it is a staple in the Vietnamese diet, which seems to be very healthy. He is from Vietnam and didn't have an answer - I think the rice and noodles are okay in moderation, combined with veggies and less meat. His cousin is a nutritionist and he is supposed to ask about the white rice and how it figures in the big scheme of things.

Interesting!

Old 03-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Rice, on its own, isn't THE problem, but in conjunction with all the other high fat, especially saturated fat, and high GI carbs we have in our diets, it can contribuute to obesity and fat gain. In a general sense, you must also consider the activity levels of some Asian cultures vs. the sedentary lifestyle Americans are so proud of. There are a lot of factors involved.

Closed Thread