It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2002, 11:06 AM   #1

someguyinhis20s HB User
Post Does Whey Protein Cause Stomach Problems?

I have just begun taking Whey protein? I mix about two scoops in some skim milk and make a shake. I've been doing this for the past 2 days having one shake per day as my morning meal between breakfast and lunch. I've noticed that after having the shake I feel very bloated. Is this normal when taking whey protein or is it a result of having it in liquid form as opposed to the bar? If so, would it be better to get the ready-made shakes instead?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2002, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Bloated gassy? or bloated puffy? It might be the lactose. It might also be increase in protein. Give it a week and see if it dissipates. If it's still causing you problems, drop the milk. Soy or rice milk (or water) make suitable replacements.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2002, 02:58 PM   #3

someguyinhis20s HB User
It's both. I get puffy, my pants feel a lot tighter, and I have a major gas buildup. I also get the runs. I was drinking protein shakes last week and never had this problem. The only thing that's changed is I switched from the ready made shake to the mix. Last week I was drinking Met-RX shakes that come in a can. This week I'm putting Nitro-Tech powder into milk and shaking it myself. My system was already used to the extra protein. I'll switch to water tomorrow. How much water per scoop do you suggest? I don't want it to taste too watery.

[This message has been edited by someguyinhis20s (edited 08-13-2002).]

Old 08-14-2002, 07:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
However much you need to keep it at a tolerable consistancy and not taste funky. Start with 1/2 the amount of milk you used and go from there by taste/texture.

Old 08-14-2002, 12:17 PM   #5

someguyinhis20s HB User
You were right. I switched to water and the bloating went away. Thanks.

By the way, does it matter if a person gets their Whey by shake or bar? I'm just wondering if I'll lose anything by just skipping the shake and eating the bars instead.

Old 08-15-2002, 07:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Bars tend to have more fat, glycerine and "other stuff". For me, bars are more filling and they are a good, quick snacky treat (and help curb sugar/chocolate cravings), but I would avoid them on cutting diet. They can wreak havoc on your insulin levels, even if they claim to be low carb.

Closed Thread