It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Feeling awful after working out!

i have recently gained 39 lbs, in 3 months, from an SSRI. I was diagnosed with Panic disorder last year. When I got my first panic attack I stopped working out. I was afraid of getting my heart rate up. I was working out 5 to 6 days a week.

Recently I started working out with a personal trainer. I have to say that each time I work out (3 times a week) I feel awful.

she tends to use heavy weights with me. I just don't feel it productive when I am not using proper form and my back hurts. I have asked her to lower the weight and she will say well if you want to lose the weight and gain muscle you should.....! I don;t remember ever being in this much pain when working out. I used to feel great after working out.

Just wondering if anyone ever felt bad after working out?

Old 03-16-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
(male)

Pauljord HB User
Re: Feeling awful after working out!

you have got to be careful because anyone can be a personal trainer (PT)nowadays. because the companites training PT's up earn so much money by doing so they pass people left right and centre. now, im not saying that your PT is rubbish but the lack of experiance i have come across doing PTing is shocking. if your goal is to lose body fat and to gain muscle then cardio work linked with resistnace work is advised.

You said that you 'were' worried about your HR rising, is this still the case? if it is not then you need to crack on with some cardio to burn those calories. if it still the case then muscle strength endurance (MSE) work is the next option. i would recommend 3 sets of about 12-15 (15 being the point where you cant go any further). also you could perform these exercises in a circuit format (NB, this will raise HR) doing opposite muscle groups. MSE work does burn calories but cardio work will burn a lot more body fat in conjuctionwith an effecting fat burning diet.

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

If your trainer has you using weight so heavy your form goes off and your back hurts, fire her. Get a new trainer. If your trainer is actually hurting you and is not listening to you, they are ultimately not doing you any good. You can get a good workout with lighter weight (especially if you can use *proper form*). Lighter weight, slower reps, good diet, and cardio will get the weight off. If you're hurting and feeling like crap, you won't keep doing it, so a lower intensity exercise that you're comfortable with is *always* better than a harder workout you won't do. Give your trainer that ultimatum or boot her. It's your health on the line.
Good luck!

Old 03-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

You can aquire the result you want as Naxis said with light weights and more reps. After your muslces get stronger then if you want to bulk up you can use heavier weight, I had panic attacks too.
Don't worry about getting your heart rate up it won't cause you to have a heart attack. Yes the heart feels like it's going to beat out of your chest during your attacks but it won't.
You are releasing stress during your workouts so hopefully they will end soon. Haven't had an attack in about 10 years.

Jenteal

Old 03-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Thank you so much for your responses. I appreciate it.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I agree with the PPs...fire your trainer!

Also, I have anxiety and panic attacks too, and I have found that regular exercise helps to manage them. Even though I can feel my heartrate is increased when I'm working out, I don't worry that I'm having a heart attack or a panic attack. I now only need to use Xanax about once every 2-3 months for panic attacks (which are not as severe now), and my anxiety level is much lower. I also try to eat a healthy diet (generally) and supplement with fish oil.

Good luck!

Closed Thread