It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2002, 03:07 PM   #1

linux123 HB User
Question Why do my bones make cracking noises?

the bone in my left leg makes cracking noises sometimes, especially when i am going up or down the stairs. alhtough this does not happen when i am running. does anyone know why this happens? i do not experience any pain when i hear the cracking noises.
thanks

Old 12-01-2002, 06:47 PM   #2

Ruh-Roh HB User
Yea my brother has the same problem with his wrists when we bench press. It doesn't hurt him though, its just kind of distracting. Does it hurt your leg when it cracks? Im interested aswell.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2002, 01:11 AM   #3

Shinobi_07 HB User
yeah im curious as well? I always though maybe im lazy and dont do even activies/excercise and stretching thats why my bones are starting to crack noises. For example sitting on the couch no stretching i feel the need to always stretch it out and it makes a noise.

well for my left hand i can make a crack bone noise at will i just have to do a twist...

Old 12-02-2002, 05:25 AM   #4

erica_74 HB User
I have the exact same problem with my right knee! It happens only when I am climbing stairs or walking up the hill on a certain angle.
But this happened one year after a mild knee injury and my guess would be that all the aerobics that I am doing are to blame.

It is not painful, it is just there and I would guess that it must be some king of malformation due to the injury and the constant movement.

I am no doctor though and I admit I am afraid to go to the doctor for it (it doesn't bother me anyway) cause he's going to say that I have to take it easy and lose all that aerobic action (OMG, I love dance aerobics and I could never stop doing them!)

But I would love to hear any other experiences and opinions on this too!

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2002, 03:09 PM   #5
Veteran

H8CC HB User
It was once described to me in this way; your tendons fit into grooves in your bone. The clicking noise you hear is the tendon popping out of its groove, then snapping back in. The person who described this to me said it was acompanied by a shooting pain in his case, so it could be somthing different. How bad for you is it? what causes it? beats me =)
H8CC

Old 12-02-2002, 05:34 PM   #6

fatman_uk HB User
I get this in my neck, back, elbows, knees, ankles, chest (where my ribs meet) an my right thumb, lol. So i sound kinda ill compared to u guys, lololol.

It's weird, its jus like a lil' snap, like popping bubble wrap, kinda stress releiving in a way but not like in a gettin rid of ache or pain way, tho i also, as mentined above, jus get a feeling that i should say, extend my arm, then my elbow clicks, lol, strange.

I heard in a science lesson when i was at school that its caused by a build up of gas in the joints that goes 'POP!' when u move the joint. Only thing i wanna know is... What is the gas? Where does it come from? An where the hell does it go? =/

-Gaz

Old 12-02-2002, 05:55 PM   #7

Rat_in_a_cage HB User
Those are air pockets and are nothing to be concerned with or have any health benefit. If you have any kind of pain, then you might have something else and should consult your doctor.

Old 12-03-2002, 02:14 PM   #8

dancehallqueen22 HB User
my knees crack all the time and so do my elbows....no pain is accompanied by it....as i understand it it has something to do with not streching enough....your ligaments crack because the muscle that it is attached to is very tense....its not dangerous unless accompanied by pain though
lisa

Old 12-03-2002, 06:57 PM   #9

linux123 HB User
wow, i thought this problem was rare. oh i forgot to mention this before, i had a injury in my left knee 4 years ago while playing a tennis tournament. i twisted my knee awkardly while hitting a shot, but thought it was something minor and completed my match after the trainer put some ice on it. but the next day i realized i could not even move my knee! i had alot of pain for a few days, but it was in my muscle, not in my bone. so i thought this was not related, but maybe i was wrong

Closed Thread