It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2002, 12:09 PM   #1
Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User
Post Painful Situps -- tailbone problem

Yeah, I got a problem when doing situps. I kill my tail bone! I mean, i tear the skin up right there! It's painful and causes me to stop doing situps. It really started when my one coach posed the challenge of doing 500 situps in 30 min. Not as easy as it sounds, i did 400, but one of the main problems was, i just couldn't keep going! my tail bone was scrapped raw!! I actually bled a lil! lol It's been pretty sore since and it hurts to do any large amount of situps again.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any way to get around it? I've still got some options of things to lay on to try and alleviate this, but damn does my tailbone hurt.

Old 12-22-2002, 03:00 PM   #2
(male)

Toxik HB User
I've never been a big fan of situps since its easy to cheat with your back paying the price. I too used to feel severe pressure on the tailbone to the point where it was my tailbone as opposed to my abs that kept me from achieving as many pushups as I could. If you have access to a gym, most have weighted ab machines which puts you in the sitting position.

If you don't have access to a machine, a great alternative is leg lifts. I don't really like hanging leg raises since unless you really really have perfect form, your cheating your abs and hurting your back. Lie down on a padded mat (cement, tile, and other hard surfaces are NOT ideal), and place your hands under your tailbone so it feels comfortable. I used to make a sort of diamond shape under the tailbone, but find out what works for you. From there you can do butterfly kicks or full leg raises. If you have access to an decline bench, you can also do leg lifts on those, regular crunches, oblique workouts, etc. Let me know if I can help more.

------------------
~J Siv~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2002, 06:05 PM   #3
Veteran

H8CC HB User
yep had that problem a while ago. I just stopped doing regular situps altogether. Now if i do situps its on a decline bench. Lots of hanging leg lifts and weighted/cable crunches here.

H8CC

Old 12-22-2002, 08:43 PM   #4
Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User
I like situps! It's one of the only things I can find to strengthen my lower back lol I mean really, I get a weak back from all the running I've gotten into, and doing situps makes my back feel strong and supported, as well as a great ab workout (really gets that contraction at the peak ). It just kills my tailbone. I guess i'll just try and find something I can actually do them on. I remember in highschool we had a decline board with a pad on it and i never had problems with my tailbone in there. I need something like that.

Old 12-22-2002, 11:57 PM   #5

Shinobi_07 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Toxik:
I've never been a big fan of situps since its easy to cheat with your back paying the price. I too used to feel severe pressure on the tailbone to the point where it was my tailbone as opposed to my abs that kept me from achieving as many pushups as I could.

yeah i totally agree when i used to them it hurts more for my tailbone and back than the abs. And i really agree about the cheating part i feel as though my back hurts more and my stomach is really not doing much. I probably did it wrong but i tried to isolate my abs and making it hurt it does work sometimes but not all the time.

Old 12-23-2002, 01:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
Situps are bad in general. They put too much stress on your lower back, and not in a 'good-workout' way, more in a 'might-strain-it' way. Crunches are much better and work your abs just as well if not better. For safer lower back work, do deadlifts and hyperextentions.

Old 12-25-2002, 02:10 PM   #7
Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User
I dunno how ya'll do your situps, but I have too much pride to cheat in my workouts :-P If I get tired to where i'm doing crappy form, i stop. That goes with any workout and not just situps. Once you lose form, you shouldn't be doing the exercise. Granted it takes effort to keep form while doing situps, but I already have a strong basis for abs. Situps aren't hard for me, but they do work the abs very well, lower and upper regions, hipflexors, and I still assert that my back has been stronger because of the situps, not injured. And this is coming from someone who has a BAD back! lol If there's one spot i've always had screwed, it's been my lower back, it's always sore.

Old 12-25-2002, 03:40 PM   #8
(male)

Toxik HB User
Doesn't matter if you think you're not cheating etc, situps are, simply put, an overall less efficient ab exercise than crunches, weighted crunches, etc. If your looking to stregnthen your back, there's a plethora of other exercises that are significantly better than situps. Ab exercises are meant to isolate and to work the abs. If you wanna work and stregnthen the back, do deadlifts, rows, chins, etc.

A bloody tailbone doesn't really lead me to believe that situps are doing wonders for you

Do crunches, they're better, plain and simple.

Peace

------------------
~J Siv~

Old 12-25-2002, 09:02 PM   #9
Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User
I don't know know what kind of rows you've been doing but my lower back has never been worked from rows! :-P
I'm not interested in the ab isolation, I have great abs. And situps aren't solely an ab workout. They're great for the hipflexors, especially the longer you go, and the lower back whatever those muscles are called (can't remember what the gourp name was) is also in there. Situps actually are a good workout, but not if you have crappy abs and can't do them well. Then you're just gonna end up hurting yourself. My only problem is that my tailbone seems to jet out and when I roll up, it rolls and digs into whatever is under me. When I did the 400 situps in 25 min, it wasn't a very good surface to be doing them on, especially considering I started using a mat that also wasn't that great of a help after I got over 200 situps done lol

Anyway, I don't have access to a bunch of weights to work deadlifts and all that. Does anyone actually have workouts that isolate the lower back?! The only thing I can ever get to, besides using a partner which I don't have, is to use a roman chair they have at school.

Oh yeah, and if anyone wants to tell me that having strong hip flexors isn't a good thing, BS! I ran a marathon, I couldn't lift my left leg because that hipflexor was shot! I was laying down and tried to situp and I couldn't, tried lifting the leg instead, i couldn't lol It was rather amusing actually. So anyway, I find hip flexors to be important now, especially since I'm also trying to get into fighting. Of course there's better workouts for them, but just saying, situps help stimulate them and that's a good thing to keep them active.

Oh yeah, and I dunno how many people have tried to do 500 situps in a half an hour, but my friend and I both concur that when doing so many situps, you really feel it at that point where your abs touch your rib cage and along there, and right along that oblique wall. Great feeling though!

Old 12-25-2002, 09:29 PM   #10
(male)

Toxik HB User
Suite yourself kid. Sorry, but I can't understand the argument that your doing situps because they serve as a compound exercise (abs, hipflexors, what not).

Like you mentioned, there are several exercises that can work your hip flexors better than situps and several exercises that can work your abs better than situps (just the basic crunch will do -weighted, even better) so I don't see what the purpose of situps are. They're an outdated exercise that have been elminated from a great majority of workouts due to the subtle injury it has been KNOWN to cause to the lower back.

Whatever works for you though. However, I thought the original intent of your post was to find an alternative and then when an alternative was presented you favored the original exercise, which is kind of confusing.

Don't see what you got against crunches though, but good luck with whatever you decide.

Peace

Old 12-26-2002, 02:41 PM   #11

steven2983 HB User
Hey, how does everyone feel about a machince called Smart Abs. If you havent heard of it, its a machince that works the abs in a sitted position. you bent over as if you were doing sit-ups lying down. It has resistance too. Look it up. type in ''smart abs'' in any search engine.

anyway, whats everyone's thoughts on this machince that i'm thinkin of getting.

[This message has been edited by steven2983 (edited 12-26-2002).]
There is no single condition which causes more psychic trauma, more maladjustment between parent and children, more general insecurity and feelings of inferiority and greater sums of psychic suffering than does acne vulgaris

Old 12-26-2002, 05:46 PM   #12
Veteran

H8CC HB User
highly suspect with advertising like
"With the Smart Abs System youíll lose ten pounds and two inches in just two weeks or your money back"
actual quote.
no kidding.
H8CC

Old 12-26-2002, 06:25 PM   #13
Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User
The intent of this thread was to find out if anyone else has had problems with their tailbone while doing situps and how to get around it. I know plenty of ab routines. In fact, i'm probably the only guy on this site that gives ab routines when people post inquiries on them! :-P

Situps aren't that bad. I have nothing against crunches and have great abs because of them. What do you have against situps? Back problems? What back problems? Like I've said, they've strengthened my back in ways no other workout has. Why do people not perscribe doing situps? Because people who are too weak in the abs to do them correct end up pulling on their heads or trying to roll up using their backs. Situps, like any other workout, when done with proper form, have their benifits, and an ab workout SHOULD strengthen the lower back muscles as well. That is the point of an ab routine, to target the lower, upper, sides, and back of the midsection. I have a whole list of non-crunch routines that are supposed to help strengthen the lower back in an ab routine, but it's not intense enough for me. I workout, i workout hard. Situps are the only thing besides using a roman chair and holding 45 lbs to my chest, that actually make my lower back feel strong.

and before you go saying crunches are a much better workout for the abs. Try doing 500 situps and tell me you've done crunches that have made your abs burn like that! The abs are my area of enjoyment when it comes to working out, and those situps made me feel pain in a way I never knew possible (the post pain of a good workout being the enjoyment of course).

Old 12-26-2002, 07:08 PM   #14
(male)

Toxik HB User
If i did 500 crunches, I'm sure I'd get the same burn, or an even better one (since I'm isolating the abs) than by doing 500 situps.

Why use situps as your exercise for making your lower back stronger when you could do such exercises as deadlifts. I'm sure you have access to a simple barbell, or even dumbells. Deadlifts are one of the best, if not the best, overall exercises for overall muscle growth and it is especially known for the stregnth it adds to your legs and lower back. If you really want an intense lower back workout you'll do deads and if you really want an intense ab workout you'll do weighted crunches. My abs are rock hard and I'll never go back to doing regular non-weighted ab work.

Even if situps don't hurt your lower back, Deads and Weighted Ab work are infinitely better for your back and abs, respectively, than regular situps.

Peace

------------------
~J Siv~

Old 12-27-2002, 07:03 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
If you insist on situps, do them on a padded mat to solve the tailbone prob.

Closed Thread