It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2003, 06:28 PM   #1

Run6280 HB User
Post Stomach pain after doing abdominal workout

Hopefully someone can help me. I have been an athlete, mostly running for 9 years and I have just decided about a year ago that I wanted to develop a six-pack of abs. Here's the problem-- when I do ab workouts, which I do 5-6 times a week, I feel good during the workout but then about an hour or two after the workout, I feel very gassy and I feel like I have to go to the bathroom a lot. I would love to develop my abs more, but sometimes the stomach pain drives me to want to stop working out my abs. Thanks a lot everyone

Old 01-17-2003, 05:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
That problem doesn't sound like it has anything to do with your ab workout. What are you eating? Does thos only occur on days that you work yt=our abs? And why are you working abs 5-6 times a week? If you want a six pack, go heavy, maybe twice a week. That will reall build those muscles.

------------------
Keep your body lean, your blood clean and your mind sharp. -Rollins

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2003, 07:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
I have to say, I had this problem once. Every time I did a really hard abs session I'd have to go to the toilet within an hour. Went away after a while though so I don't know what was causing it. I didn't change what I was eating or how I worked out so I'm still none the wiser as to what caused it, much like you may be after reading this post Maybe stuff's getting squished inside you and moving along faster than usual. ???

Old 01-17-2003, 08:51 AM   #4

AEMT-CC HB User
"Maybe stuff's getting squished inside you and moving along faster than usual. ???"

Your actualy right. When a person does abdominal exercises, it causes the digestive tract to move a little. For some people, it will cause the gas in their system to pass quickly. For others, it causes their bowls to be moved along the digestive tract faster. This does not happen to everyone, but for a few.

I guess I'm lucky. I never do stomach exercises. I've had the V shape obliques and a flat, hard stomach since I was about 16. It's just in my genes. But when I do - do stomach exercises. I'm a ticking gas bomb waiting to go off.
For the majority, weightlifting is a harmless past time. But for the elite, it's a grueling ritual. It incorporates pain as it's own divine reward. It sees no amount of crushing dedication as too great a sacrifice and never fails to render results.

Closed Thread