HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Exercise & Fitness (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/exercise-fitness/)
-   -   cardiovascular or fat burn rate? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/exercise-fitness/48661-cardiovascular-fat-burn-rate.html)

celfan 01-15-2003 02:17 PM

cardiovascular or fat burn rate?

I posted this on weight loss board and got no response so I'll try here.

Hi
I'm trying to get my weight down from 210 to 175 (I'm 5"10). I've cut down on calories, lowered carb intake considerably, do 45min to 1 hr cardio 6 days a week, and work out with weights three evening a week.

My question is, when I'm doing cardio on machines at the gym, should I be keeping my heart rate around 120
like it says on the fat burn scale or 145 like on the Cardiovascular scale. Again, my immediate goal is getting my weight down.

Thanks

Makinmschf 01-15-2003 04:55 PM

OK, I very well could be wrong BUT the way I understand it is you should be keeping it in the fat burning level...you are trying to burn fat not build endurance at this point.Now having said that, you may find that in a few weeks you need to increase either your intensity of exercise OR duration to continue to see results.Hope this helps some and if I am incorrect someone please correct me!!

Merrida 01-15-2003 06:22 PM

1) The charts are general guidelines and not accurate because the formula they use does not take into consideration a person's resting heart rate (it assumes everyone of the same age has the same resting heart rate and is of the same fitness level).

2) You have two options with regards to cardio when it comes to "burning fat."
a) Low intensity (65%-75% MHR) for long duration
b) High Intensity Interval Training for shorter durations (which would involve varying your pace/speed/resistance at pre-determined intervals, where your HR would be as low as 65%, surpass the 75% up into the 85% or slightly higher, and then you'd bring it back down to 65% and back up, etc., and so forth).

3) You can just worry about burning calories while you exercise (which means you put it back on when you eat and drink - but it does work) - and/or -

4) Consider the effect changing your LBM has on your resting metabolic rate which will cause you to burn MORE calories even at REST as well as more calories than you do now, when you exercise.

It's actually more complicated than that, but this should help get you started.

Cutebeagle2 01-16-2003 10:09 PM

Since I've just bought an excellent fitness book
we can give you some pointers. Your on the right
track of limiting your carbs and some fats. By
eating sugar and carbs your body will convert the
carbs into sugar and your body will then store it.
By eating plant food, lettuce, colleflower,spinach
amino acid foods and fruits and vegetables and of
course protein your body will process the nutrients
and then when you work out you will burn fat and
not sugar, so limiting or eleminating sugar is
important for fat loss. As for cardio a high
intensity workout of 20 to 30 minutes will help
speed up the metabolism. A low to medium exercise
such as aerobics doesn't do the job quick enough.
Your best way is to exercise at a high energy pace
and don't exercise for more than one hour so that
you don't overtrain. All of your fat loss will take
place when you are not exercising. Hope this helps.

Naxis 01-17-2003 05:25 AM

Cute: a "low to medium exercise" will burn fat plenty "fast enough" if you do them for longer durations, much like the 45min to 1 hour that Celfan says s/he is working out for. Lower intensity cardio will also help spare muscle since a higher [b]percentage[/b] of calories burned are from fat, even if overall calories burned is less. Sprints are on the opposite end of that spectrum and also help to spare muscle. 15-20 minutes of sprints is a *killer* workout, burns tons of calories, helps add and spare muscle and raises metabolism for hours after (since it is a muscle building workout). It's hard to do them all the time but at least once a week I try to get in a sprint session. Just my $0.02

------------------
Keep your body lean, your blood clean and your mind sharp. -Rollins

Endorphin Junky 01-17-2003 05:42 AM

Yup. I can attest to the value of doing sprints. I love them and they're excellent a building leg strength. Just look at 100/200m runners legs. Have to psyche my self up before I go to the gym to do them though (we have a couple of running machines that go up to stupidly-high kph and people that don't know what you're doing often look at you like you're insane), but I'm usually high off the endorphins for hours after ;) And like Naxis said, it spares muscle and burns fat like nothing else.

Alyssium 01-17-2003 12:59 PM

Also, to get the best possiblefat burning cardio you need to keep your heart rate at between 60%-80% of your max for atleast 20 minutes. To figure your max heart rate take 220 and subtract your age. For examples a 22 year old would take 22 from 220 that would be 198. That's their max heart rate. To get their fat burning cardio find 60% and 80% of 198. That would be between about 120-160 beats per minute. Just take your 10 second pulse and multiply by 6. Hope that makes sense. Good Luck!

jmyzangel 01-17-2003 01:20 PM

Oh wow! Im lost. I have the same problem with the machines at the gym! this is my deal though. If I choose fat burn at my gym then I have a hard time keeping my heart rate as low as it tells me to (130) and I wasn't getting results so the past 2 days I have chosen cardio instead, It tells me to get my heart rate up to 160. And I work my butt off and I can barely get it there and it's impossible to keep it there. It wants to be at 152 about even if I kick my *** going harder and faster. Im 20 years old and according to that scale above my cardio heart rate should be 200!!!! Oh my! What should I do???

CAPiTUH 01-17-2003 03:45 PM

naxis and endorphin junky-

what is your sprint workout like?

Alyssium 01-17-2003 06:30 PM

no, no jmyzangel! you shouldn't have your rate at 200. 200 is absolute max for your heart rate don't let it get that high. You need to keep your heart rate between 120 and 160 to burn calories for atleast 15-20 minutes. If it starts getting passed 160 or 170 slow down and rest a few seconds. Good Luck!

Endorphin Junky 01-18-2003 01:56 AM

CAPiTUH
It varies, but usually I'll do something along the lines of 20 minutes of 30 second sprints with 30 second rests inbetween, rests being jogging or walking and sprints being as fast as I can go. Alternitavely, I'll do it on distance, eg sprint 200m, rest, sprint 200m etc for about 20 minutes.

Merrida 01-18-2003 07:46 AM

Naxis is right, that's exactly how it works.

You've got choices:

Low intensity for a long time.

or

High Intensity (especially with intervals) for shorter periods of time

Both will work.