It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
Question Sore arms 3 days after weight lifting?

I have been lifting 2.3kg weights for a couple of weeks, every couple of days. I do 5 sets of 20 on each bicep and then 5 sets of 10 on each tricep. But my triceps are sore about 3 or 4 days afterwards. Is this normal and can i do it again while they are still sore?

Last edited by Shakira; 04-16-2007 at 03:59 AM.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:10 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User
Re: Sore arms 3 days after weight lifting?

It's quite normal to have muscle soreness if you're new to exercising. It usually stops after 2 or 3 weeks of regular exercise, unless you change your routine and start working different muscles.

You can work out again whilst the muscles are still sore, providing you've given enough rest between workouts (should leave 2 days between working the same muscle group really). Personally I would say you're working out the same muscles a bit too often if you're doing bicep/tricep every 2 days (so Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Sunday etc) - twice a week is the most you should really do on the same muscle.

Also I think your volume is a bit high - 5x20 reps = 100 reps total. Ideally you want to be doing more like 20 - 50 reps but with higher resistance. Is 2.3 kg the only weight you have available? Even if you just want to tone up, I'd recommend trying more like 4x12 at 4kg (or whatever weight makes this amount of reps possible, but difficult).

5 sets of 10 on triceps is ok though. What about your other muscles? Believe it or not, you'll tone up your arms a lot better if you also work chest/back/shoulders etc too, and it will give you a better overall look.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
Re: Sore arms 3 days after weight lifting?

Thank you for the reply.

I heard you should leave one day between weight lifting. Wouldn't it take forever to tone up if i just did it twice a week?

2.3kg feels pretty heavy to me. I keep trying to lift my heavier ones (i think they are 4.5kg) and i can only lift it a few times before it hurts my neck and i don't want to do myself an injury. I couldn't lift a heavier weight for my triceps. I can just about lift the 2.3kg for that.

How would i work my chest, shoulders and back? With weights?

My biceps are pretty big for the size of my body, i've always had big biceps, it's my triceps that need the work. But they have fat on them that needs getting rid of first. I think my fat percentage is about 26% according to my body fat scales and i only weigh 119 lbs. I've started to rope jump a few times a week for cardio, but i can only do it for 5 minutes, as i have abit of a heart conditon and i shouldn't really get my heart rate up too fast incase it won't slow down.

Closed Thread