It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2003, 07:47 PM   #1

nicks HB User
Post Sore bicep, forearm tendons

I have lifted weights off and on for several years. I never had any real problems with persistent pain or injuries until lately. Over the past year I've been getting a little more serious about working out and I've increased my level of strength significantly. My problem is that my right bicep feels sore almost like it is bruised and the tendons in my right forearm are also sore. This pain worsens if I do any type of bicep exercise: curls, hammer curls, pull ups; but other lifts don't seem to bother me. I can still do all of my shoulder, tricep, chest exercises.

I had a bad separated shoulder about 15 years ago and my right shoulder is somewhat out of place. I've heard that this misalignment can cause problems in the arm. Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of this pain short of not lifting? My biceps are starting to look really pathetic since I've been going super light on them.

-N

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2003, 08:47 PM   #2

#1 FootBaller HB User
I myself don't see how a injury in your Shoulder would effect you tendon where your elbow is. I have heard some funny stuff tho... Maybe to pulled something, maybe to need to go the doc. Thats all I would now to do.

------------------
Come on People. Learn this stuff. Help us out. Please Help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2003, 09:16 PM   #3

justsomedude03 HB User
the answer to this one is simple. it's tendonitis (inflamation of the tendon). this is very, very common and very easy to get in that particular tendon (the one in your bicep/inside your elbow). It just means you over-worked that tendon while doing curls. give it about 5-7 days and the pain should stop. don't do curls with that arm til the pain is completely gone. and to prevent this from happening again, try to stretch your arms some before lifting. but if it does happen again, its no big deal...just give it a few days to heal and you're fine.

Old 04-10-2003, 08:04 AM   #4

nicks HB User
Yeah, I know that it is tendonitis, but it takes several weeks to go away and then comes right back when I start lifting again, even though I go really light on it. Perhaps I just need to give it more time.

Any suggestions on foods or dietary supplements that would help speed recovery of muscles and tendons? If I could get this thing to heal in 5-7 days, that would be great.

-N

Old 04-10-2003, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User
I have an ongoing shoulder problem in my left shoulder, actually more in the neck as the chiropractor cracks my neck once a month to realign things. This problem causes me to lose strength in my left bicep. So anyway a shoulder injury can easily affect your bicep and I would recommend you go to a chiropractor and at the very least he/she can give you some exercises to help assuming you don't want to go in for an alignment however so often you'll need it. As for the forearms I've found that my forearms are better off if I work my biceps with dumbells rather than barbells. I have longer arms and using barbells seems to sprain my forearms whereas I don't have that problem using dumbells. Gotta rest your forearms for a while until the pain stops and then I'd suggest switching to dumbells so you aren't so likely to sprain them again. It's quite possible the bicep problem is related to a shoulder/neck alignment problem and I'd suggest getting it checked out by a chiropractor.

Old 04-10-2003, 08:00 PM   #6

silently confident HB User
i have the same problem excpet mine is not going away. i would trie some super light weight curls and maybe some four arm exercise light weight and work your way up start at like 3 pounds it is working for me

Closed Thread