It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2003, 01:17 PM   #1
(male)

bigtruck83 HB User
Post Is there a Cheap Flax Oil?

I have been reading the benefits of using flax seed oil along with weight lifting. I was about to stop at GNC today to pick some up but decided to check at walgreens and found a bottle of Organic Flax Oil for $7.99 ( 8 FL.OZ) Is there a such thing as a low quality flax oil or will this be fine? How much do you guys take daily and when? Thanks

Old 05-21-2003, 01:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
I take 1 to 2 Tbsp a day, depending on how much other fat I am getting in for the day (and dont forget to adjust calories to compensate). There is low quality flax oil, but it's not really healthfully deficient, mostly it usually just tastes funny or even rancid. Good oil should be light and even a bit nutty flavored. When it's cheap it tastes a little bitter and when it goes bad... you'll know. Keeping it in a cool, dark place (fridge) should keep it from going bad. I would avoid almost anything at GNC unless you have nowhere else to get the item you want. It's usually very over-priced for the quality. Most health food stores and even a lot of grocery stores (and Walgreens, apparently) carry flax oil. Udo's oil is even better (mixture of oils, better Omega balance) but it is more expensive. For 7.99, it shouldn't be too low quality.
I usually add a Tbsp to a can of tuna for a snack or to a whey shake to slow absorption. I don't add fat to anything that has more than 5g carbs.

Coconut oil is also pretty good too (really tasty on a can of albacore tuna). Take in moderation, as it is saturated fat, but it has MCTs and has been purported to assist in fat loss. I use it once or twice a week when the budget allows. (It's also great topically for skin and hair.)

------------------
Keep your body lean, your blood clean and your mind sharp. -Rollins

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2003, 11:06 PM   #3
(male)

bigtruck83 HB User
and when it goes "rancid" is it still safe to eat? I mixed a tbsp with my can of tuna tonite ( first time ever eating flax oil) and I didnt like the smell or taste.

Old 05-23-2003, 06:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
I don't think it will make you sick, but I think the nutritive value is ruined when it goes bad. Did it taste awful or just bitter, like there was soap in it? I get that kind of nasty chemical/soapy taste in the cheap flax oil I bought. I threw the first bottle away and bought another one, same brand. Tasted the same, so I guess it's just poor quality (or I was phenominally unlucky to get 2 bad bottles in a row).

------------------

Old 05-26-2003, 07:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
I've read that Flax Oil is very beneficial for general health, but couldn't find anything about it being DIRECTLY beneficial to weight lifting? Can someone please clear this up for me. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2003, 07:34 AM   #6

JaniceS HB User
What about flax seed (ground up in a coffee grinder)? Is that better than just the oil?

Old 05-27-2003, 10:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Yes, actually. Then you get the fiber, also. A Tbsp or two in a protein shake or in oatmeal or even cereal is a good way to go. But you will have to eat more overall to get in the same amount of oil/EFAs.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Naxis (edited 05-27-2003).]

Closed Thread