It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

shadeshine HB User
Question Best time to exercise? Morning? Night? Breakfast?

Hi,
When is the best time to exercise? In the morning before breakfast? After breakfast? Night time before dinner? After dinner? I have heard it makes a difference.
Anyone have any insight?

Old 05-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
(female)

UofMWolverines HB UserUofMWolverines HB User
Re: Best time to exercise? Morning? Night? Breakfast?

Whether or not the time that you exercise "makes a difference" depends, I suppose, upon what your goal is. Actually... whether you're exercising to lose weight, to get fit, or both... my hunch is that the time that you exercise probably only makes a very slight difference when it comes to attaining your goals.

That having been said... it's probably best to exercise as early in the day as you can because the exercise gets your metabolism going. The sooner you rev that up, the more calories you can burn throughout the day. Furthermore, some people find that when they exercise too late in the day, it interferes with their sleep patterns.

Ultimately, though, I'd say just find a time that works for you. I exercise early some days and later on other days, depending upon my schedule. It's better to make your exercise times fit comfortably into your schedule than to try to do something that doesn't fit for you and then eventually wind up not exercising.

Good luck!

Hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

See I read otherwise about it buring calories all day. Doing cardio in the morning causes your body to mobilize more fat because of the unavailability of glycogen but once you stop your workout your body and heart goes back to it's normal resting rate. It does not make you burn more calories throughout the day.

You body burns calories 3 ways through out the day.
1=basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the amount of energy your body needs to function at rest.

2=physical activity, consumes the next highest number of calories. Physical activity includes everything from making your bed in the morning to jogging. Walking, lifting, bending and just generally moving around burns calories.

3=thermic effect of food is the final addition to the number of calories your body burns. This is the amount of energy your body uses to digest the food you eat --

If you don't get to eat lunch for what ever reason and go work out after work which is around 5 pm it's almost the same thing as getting little sleep or going to bed late and getting early and working out.

Feel free to correct me Naxis.

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 05-17-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
(female)

earthdayapril22 HB User
Question Re: Best time to exercise? Morning? Night? Breakfast?

Hi, I excercise right before dinner or after dinner, I walk 30-45 minutes every day. I really prefer after dinner and if they say that excercise gets the metabolism going , well actually my heaviest meal is dinner , so I guess that it's good to excercise around dinner for me ???

Old 05-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
(female)

TANKG!RL HB User

A good time to exercise is in the morning or early afternoon. The later in the day the less likely you'll be able to get to sleep on time. If you exercise in the morning it's alway best to exercise before a meal. Plus if you exercise before breakfast it will wake you up and prepare you for day and you'll feel more awake.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeshine View Post
Hi,
When is the best time to exercise? In the morning before breakfast? After breakfast? Night time before dinner? After dinner? I have heard it makes a difference.
Anyone have any insight?
shadeshine,

A good time to exercise is when you can fit it into your schedule. I agree with UofMWolverines. If you actually have other activities in your life, like friends and family, school, job, hobbies, etc. then exercise can be scheduled in where there's time. Obsessing about whether the time of day is going to negate the benefits of the exercise will lead to saying, "oh I can't exercise at X o'clock so it'll be a waste of time for me to do it now". Doing something is LOTS better than worrying about the time of day.

Exercise is good for you. If doing something late in the day makes it hard to sleep, then try to fit it in earlier in the day. If getting up an hour early to exercise before you go to work is pure torture, then find another time of day to do it. In the grand scheme of things, the time of day makes no difference. People who exercise have better health than people who don't.

My two cents,

--Rheanna

(...she says trying to figure out when she's going to get off her rear end and go out for a brisk walk today... )

Old 05-19-2007, 04:34 AM   #7
(male)

tattman HB User

I have found that at the moment I have to do my weight in the afternoon while its a little warmer as we are getting cold temps now. And being a suffer from a bad back I need the warmth to get into my back before I can do anything. I summer I can do them anytime as its warm. But I really think its up to you when you can fit them in is the best time for you. I could be wrong and more than likely are wrong. But if you feel you get more out of yourself say in the mornings then I would stick to then. But don't drink coffee before as it will make you thirsty and then you will have to drink more. So if you do drink coffee try to leave it out for about 2 hour prior to your workouts. The Tattman.

The Following User Says Thank You to tattman For This Useful Post:
clanza82 (11-19-2011)
Closed Thread