It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
(male)

senoflys HB User
Post when to take creatine and whey protein

I'm just curious about when it is best to take these two supplements when working out. I've heard that it is good to take the creatine before u work out and then the protein powder after your workout. Is this correct?

Old 07-04-2003, 03:30 PM   #2
Inactive

crayola110 HB User
I've heard that whey protein is best taken immediately PWO. Right after your workout your body will soke up nutrients like a sponge. This is because your body depletes protein in your muscles during workout, as well as carbs and fats. At the end of workout your blood glucose is low and you require an insulin spike in order to reduce nutrient loss. In order to reduce the amount of protein used as energy at this point u need to immediately consume a fast absorbing protein. Whey is digested in around 20 min I've read.

For creatine I've heard it is good to just take a shot or scoop of it (5mg) also post workout. This can be taken with your protein shake if it also contains a dextrose/maltodextrose (50:50) mix. Some believe u should'nt take creatine with your protein shake, but this is not what I've experienced/read/heard, as long as u have the simple carbs in your shake.

If you don't have dextrose maltodextrose then u can just take creatine after ur protein shake pwo with a high carb juice like Grape juice, but not a citrus juice (some believe citrus conflicts with creaitne).

Other people think creatine can just be consumed at any time during the day, which I kind of agree with as long as u spike it with plenty of simple carbs. This is because Creatine is stored in your muscle until it is used during a work out. So taking it RIGHT before a workout is'nt that important.

gl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2003, 06:41 PM   #3
Inactive

Snaeke HB User
One thing to remember is don't take too much whey protein or eat anything "heavy" within 2 hours prior to your workout. You don't want your body sending more blood to your stomach in order to digest the food, which means less blood, oxygen, & energy going to your muscles.

------------------
-Snaeke
"I may be fat, but I most certainly carry more weight around than your narrow butt everyday." -phat food for thought

Old 07-07-2003, 06:04 AM   #4

big neal HB User
You mentioned that taking creatine before your workout isn't all that necessary. I normally take it before my workout and then again later on in the evening. It seems to be doing the job as far as strength...But are you saying that it would be "most" effective if taken after the workout?

Thanks...

Old 07-07-2003, 12:29 PM   #5
Inactive

crayola110 HB User
Yeah I mean taking it right before does'nt matter that much because it is stored in your muscles until it is used.
What is important is the actual digestion of the creatine and absorption into the muscle. When you take it u want to let it absorb into the body. PWO is the best time for this absorption. If you are taking it before and after workout that is real good too, but u can even do something like one 5 g scoop in the morning and the 5 g scoop in the post work out shake.

Old 07-08-2003, 12:11 PM   #6

big neal HB User
During the week, I work-out at 4:30 am.....since creatine is most effective at post-workout, what should I do for pre-workout? Or should I take my second dosage of creatine before bedtime?

Thanks for any input!

Old 07-08-2003, 12:38 PM   #7

mustangbuff03 HB User
it is really best to take protein immediately POW? i once read that u should wait 45-60 minutes after a workout to take a supplement. it was in an NBA strength and conditioning book, and it didn't specify protein or anything, it was just under a section on supplements and said something like, if u take supplements, wait 45-60 minutes after your workout and then take the supplement. so....do u still say immediately after is the best time?

Old 07-08-2003, 02:19 PM   #8

Evil_Inside HB User
Mustang:

Search around for threads on protein shakes and you'll find that Whey protein is best taken immediately after a workout. There is a 45-60 minute window you should drink the shake within. The various protein shakes I have taken all state this.

There are however, other types of protein suppliments that work differently. I am currently using GNC PM Protein which is a blend of whey and casin protein. This shake is used 1 hour before bed. The whey is absorbed immediately and the casin is absorbed over a period of 7 hours.

Check out the articles on bodybuilding dot com. You will alot of info there.

Closed Thread