It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
(male)

PhatBoy Slim HB User
Ab exercises to lose a gut & tighten up stomach

Over the past 3 years I've lost close to 100lbs. (went from 330 down to 240) and I'm noticing that though I've lost the weight my stomach is still flabby. Matter of fact, I've noticed it more as I'm losing more weight & I'm wondering is there any specific types of ab exercises that can help to tighten up my stomach?

I've started doiing ab exercises but I haven't been as consistent with doing them as I have in working out my upper and lower body. How often can I work out my abs, every day or every other day?

Also, am I being a little too impatient in trying to see my stomach tighten up? How long does it usually take for the skin to tighten when you lose a lot of weight?

Thanks in advance, any help you can give will be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: Ab exercises to lose a gut & tighten up stomach

Frist off CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss. That's great.

Sometimes when a person looses that much weight even though you did it at a good pace the skin will not shrink with the weight loss.

What is your exercise routine now? You say your work out your upper and lower body but do you do cardio, weights or another form of exercise?
There are many types of sit ups you can do to tighten your abs but tightening them with fat on top will not give you the result you want. To get the fat off you need to cardio at the very lest 3 days a week. Cardio is the only way to burn fat. You can have a 6 pack but if you have not lost the weight you wil never be able to see it.

You might need to have a plastic surgeon remove the excess skin for you. It's quite common.

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 05-26-2007 at 07:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
(male)

PhatBoy Slim HB User

To be honest, my cardio isn't what it should be. I try to play basketball about two times a week. I only started doing that in the last 2 weeks. I'm also looking to get my mountain bike's tires fixed so I can start riding at least 4-5 times a week. As much as I want to lose the weight, I also want to increase the level of my health so improving my cardio is important to me. Ultimately I'd like to get down to about 210-215 lbs. Plus, I want to be able to be active in sports playing & doing the things that I love for the next 20-25 yrs. of my life at least.

Thanks for the input. Please give any other ideas that you can think of. I'm hoping that with the increase of my cardio levels my skin will tighten without the need of plastic surgery.

Last edited by PhatBoy Slim; 05-27-2007 at 12:05 AM.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

If it's been three years since you had started your weight loss and the skin is still loose, it is more than likely that the loose skin will remain that way. It will probably never shrink back to any appreciable degree. It is because your skin was obviously stretched beyond its capacity and the elasticity is gone. For this reason many people in your situation, after losing a large amount of weight, often go for abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). It is quite a common procedure and it is the only alternative you probably have to getting your body looking the way it was before the weight gain. Of course, it is a major surgery so there are risks involved (not to mention the cost) and only you can decide whether you are willing to take those risks.
If you are still trying to lose weight you know that diet is the key. Cardio helps with weight loss because it burns calories so, in combination with low cal diet, your weight will come off faster. There are other benefits to cardio, in addition to weight loss. Its main benefit, as the name implies, is for improving your cardiovascular fitness. This benefit is of utmost importance for your health and for giving you endurance to do many other activities.

Last edited by rita; 05-27-2007 at 02:51 PM.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
(male)

PhatBoy Slim HB User

I need to clarify. It hasn't been three years of me constantly working out. Over the course of the three years I haven't been consistent with my working out, eating properly, etc. In all honesty, it's been a process with the weight loss. Basically, I would lose a little bit, then be a stagnant for 4-5 months, not really working out, concentrating on what I ate, etc. It was only in the 10-12 months that I've really been focusing on really getting in shape & being healthy. I really hope that I won't need to have surgery. That's definitely not something that sounds appealing at all.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

I realize that you haven't been working out throughout the three years. But you have been losing the 100 pounds over that time. Working out doesn't really do anything to tighten the skin. Skin is not a muscle and as such cannot be trained to get back in shape through exercise. Your skin stretched out due to the excess weight and now that the weight is gone, it has nowhere to go. Again, working out will help to tighten the muscles but will not do much for the loose skin. Usually it takes skin a bit of time to tighten up as much as it is capable of but it is definitely done doing that after three years. That is why I said that if after three years it is still loose then it will most likely stay loose. I know that is not what you want to hear but it is the truth. The only options are surgery or simply learning to live with it and accept it and that's something that you would need to decide.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Now that you have clarified I'd say it sounds like you will need it. I thought you had been loosing weight slowly for 3 years. For some people loosing weight slow helps the skin stay tight.

Loosing weight fast the skin will not shrink. If you have been heavy most of your life the skin is stretched beyond it's capacity and in about I'd say 90% of people need surgery to remove it.

If the skin is really excess it can cause rash, sores or infections to build up under the stretchy skin that can hang down on the body. I'm not sure if insurance covers it or not.

The doctors cut your from hip to hip and pull the excess skin down to make it taunt. Then they cut the excess skin stitch and you up. They have another procedure where cut you from hip to hip but instead of cutting just in the front they cut you all the way around your body and pull taunt, cut and sew.

If you have a book store near by you try going to the health or exercise section. They have many books that you can look through for your stomach exercise. There are so many varations and I don't know which ones you are ready to do.

Closed Thread