It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2003, 09:04 AM   #1

big neal HB User
Post wrist sprain & working-out

I'm now on my third week back after a one week lay-off, and I'm having some pain in my left wrist. It's sore to the point that if I turn it the wrong way it really hurts...The thing is that it only hurts when I work-out up until it's warmed-up....After that, it's fine. It hurts the most during squats when I hold the weight up. (but when it's warm, it's ok) This is very strange! Because it only bothers me when I twist it certain ways!

I'm continuing to make gains and don't want to stop because of this injury...It kinda reminds me of how athletes continue to play through injuries! Oh, I believe that I may have injured it while doing heavy dead-lifts with wraps on. I use wraps to minimize the callous' on my hands.

Any suggestions on how to recuperate this sprain?

Old 08-28-2003, 11:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User
Yes it is a sprain. Take shin splints, for example, they can hurt real bad but once you get good and warmed up they usually don't. This doesn't mean you aren't doing further damage because you very well could be. You certainly can't tell if you are or not since it's warmed up and no longer hurting. I've sprained both of my wrists. I changed a few exercises to things that didn't hurt my wrists as much but mostly it just takes rest for your sprain to heal. One thing that may speed recovery is wrapping the wrist in an ace bandage while you sleep to keep it compressed so as to keep any possible swelling down and should help it to heal faster. That's what my doctor told me to do. The important thing with a sprain is you may very well be able to work through the pain but if you continue to not let it heal you'll be feeling a lot of arthritis in that wrist as you get older. So ask yourself do you want to risk long term damage and a lot of complications when you get older or try to rest it for a month or so. Sounds pretty mild to me so you could probably heal up nicely with taking it easy for a month on that wrist but if you don't let it heal it will either stay the same or get worse then you'll end up missing more time recovering from the injury than if you let it heal now. Glucosamine supplementation may also be an option you might consider looking into to help it heal and stay strong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread