It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Stretching Exercises can helps with a dislocated shoulder?

Hi,

I dislocated my shoulder twice in the last 6 years, last time was 2 years ago, and now I exercise 6 days including weightlifting and aerobic but I don't stretch at all. I wonder if stretching would help with my shoulder dislocation injury or make it worse?
Thanks for help,
Michael

Old 06-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: Stretching Exercises can helps with a dislocated shoulder?

You need to stretch before and after your workouts.

I had very tilted hips. Years of doctor and chiro only hurt me more. Yoga and Pilate's has almost fixed me. My hips were out of place for 10 years and it's been about 5 years of stretching to get me better. You can minus 1 1/2 years where I was not able to be as dilagent as I wanted with my routine due to the hurricane.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Stretch some, but avoid acute stretches. Obviously the connective tissue holding that joint together are a little weak to begin with and since you lift weights you don't want it to be any weaker than it needs to be to function safely. I wouldn't do much more than full range of motion windmill-type stretching movement. Avoid anything that pulls on the arm to stretch.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

I'm afraid that I might hurt my injuried shoulder if I do stretching exercises but at the same time I say it might be useful because if the shoulder muscles are stretched it will prevent future dislocations. I'm not sure that I make sense . Anyway, thanks for your help and yes YOGA is great .
Michael

Old 06-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis View Post
Stretch some, but avoid acute stretches. Obviously the connective tissue holding that joint together are a little weak to begin with and since you lift weights you don't want it to be any weaker than it needs to be to function safely. I wouldn't do much more than full range of motion windmill-type stretching movement. Avoid anything that pulls on the arm to stretch.
So I can't do a 1 hour stretching session?
Can I begin with 5 minutes and increase it?
Thanks for help,
Michael

Old 06-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Why do you want to stretch more than that? Are you feeling tight? Unless you are looking to be more limber in general, I wouldn't recommend too much flexibility in that joint, lest it lead to instability and a new dislocation.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I got your point and many thanks for your help. I think I will stretch my body and don't stretch my injured shoulder much. Can I do that?
Thanks,
Michael

Old 06-15-2007, 06:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Absolutely. The rest of your body is up for grabs, so to speak. You just need to treat potential injury sites a little more carefully. And for the record, those were not sarcastic questions. I just wondered if you had a reason to want to do long stretching sessions - not that you *need* one. Good luck!

Last edited by Naxis; 06-15-2007 at 07:00 AM.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis View Post
Absolutely. The rest of your body is up for grabs, so to speak. You just need to treat potential injury sites a little more carefully. And for the record, those were not sarcastic questions. I just wondered if you had a reason to want to do long stretching sessions - not that you *need* one. Good luck!
Hello Naxis,

Thank you very much for your help and yes I know that those questions were not sarcastic because you are the kind of people who help everyone else and that kind of people is not sarcastic at all. Thanks again for help and have a good day.

Closed Thread