It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User
Cutting down workouts

I currently do 6-7 intense gym workouts a week. If I cut back to 4-5 a week would this affect my weight? Would I need to make any changes? I used to only exercise 4-5 times a week but the last few months I increased it and I'm getting quite fatigued.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

eclipse27 HB User
Re: Cutting down workouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by viccles View Post
I currently do 6-7 intense gym workouts a week. If I cut back to 4-5 a week would this affect my weight? Would I need to make any changes? I used to only exercise 4-5 times a week but the last few months I increased it and I'm getting quite fatigued.
First of all thats way to many intense workouts!! What exactly are you doing in these work outs? I do 3-4 intense wieghts/followed by 15 min cardio. Then i do one day 40 min cardio and i rest the other days. Over doing it can cause to much fatigue, and make you feel miserable. Let us know what exactly your work outs include. And maybe i can help you some more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 10:58 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User

3-4 RPM classes a week plus 3-4 weight x intense cardio sessions. I never do weights consecutive days but I do RPM consecutively. Feeling quite fatigued, hungry and lifeless at the moment. I suppose I dont eat enough for my workouts but its hard to catch up

Old 07-13-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User

Quote:
Feeling quite fatigued, hungry and lifeless at the moment. I suppose I dont eat enough for my workouts but its hard to catch up

Then listen to your body and definitely cut down. Excessive fatigue is the big symptom of overtraining, and it sounds like that's your problem. There's no harm taking a whole week off from cardio/weights every couple of months for a rest, then when you start again try sticking to 4-5 days a week instead of the 7. You should find you have more energy and are able to get more out of each workout, so instead of it having a negative effect on your weight, it will probably help you.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

I totally agree. You're getting classic overtraining symptoms and you need to recover now before it gets worse. When you cut back on your exercise volume, you will want to adjust your diet a little to account for fewer calories burned, but Willapp has it on the nose: if you don't correct it now, you're going to start to lose muscle mass which will slow your metabolism and start a steeper decline in your progress.
I'd go as far as to recommend no more than 2 weight training workouts a week for the next 2 weeks and at least 2 days of total rest (walking is okay). Your muscles need to repair themselves, and by working out so hard every day you're not giving them a chance. Just watch your diet and you should not see any weight gain as a result, with a renewed vigor when you're back in full form. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
(male)

jeb1977 HB User

In my opinion you should do what they told you, cut down on your workouts a bit. at least take one week off. I been working out for 5 consecutive years mon-thurs (4 days per week), I'm 29, i do my weight lifting everyday then cardio only 3 times per week for 30 min. I been in situations like you when I feel burned out so I take one day off out of the week but still go on friday or saturday. those off days they help a lot big time.... and that is true if you overtrain you will loose muscle and your metabolism will slow down.

I suggest to take some vitamins b complex everday as it promotes the protein synthesis leading to nitrogen retention which leads to muscle recovery. also glutamine is also a super good supplement in recovery with a good multivitamin.

do you take any supplements?? supplements are a must for an athlete, specially for people starting out... try to eat your complex carbs because that helps you go through your workouts more intense, complex carbs = engergy and of course your good quality protein.

do you take any supplements? what are your goals? what is your diet look like?

Quote:

Last edited by jeb1977; 07-13-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User

I take a stack of vitamins because I'm not a fan of fruit and veg. My diet is pretty good otherwise I eat a good mix of protein and wholegrain carbs. Probably don't eat enough for the amount of exercise I do though. I just want to maintain my weight and tone up

Last edited by viccles; 07-13-2007 at 04:57 PM.

Closed Thread