It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
(female)

bright_eyes HB User
Confused: where do I measure my hips??

The instructions always say "measure at the fullest part of the hips".

Where are the hips?!

Is it at the two points of my pelvis just below my waist?

Or is it at the point where the measuring tape would lie across the two knobs of my femurs?

The first measurement is a good 5 inches less than the second measurement!

Last edited by bright_eyes; 08-20-2007 at 09:24 PM.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
Re: Confused: where do I measure my hips??

Your hips are the area around your buttocks and pelvis, below your waist. If the instructions say "measure at the fullest part of the hips", just measure around this area at the widest point.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-22-2007 at 06:15 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
(female)

bright_eyes HB User

LOL, but my buttocks is not just below my waist at my pelvis. It's further down right where my legs attach! That said, do I measure so I'm getting my buttocks in it or do I measure so I'm getting my pelvis in it?

See? I'm confused!

Old 08-29-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
(female)

1stimer662 HB User

No, you measure just below your ribs, and right above your knees.....LOL!

Really, I can see your confusion! Breast measuring is pretty complicated too. Just guessing here, but I think you should measure like right below your pelvic bone, above your pubic bone(or your hairline--if you have any ) Or maybe even right at your pubic bone...... Good luck though! You pose a good question. I'm going to have to research this more.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

The way it was explained to me was, you stand sideways in front of a mirror that will let you see past your rear end (a full-length mirror is best). Put a tape measure snugly around what looks like the biggest part of the hips, keeping the tape parallel to the floor (this is where a mirror is important). The tape should fit with no gaps or sags, but not push into the flesh. Then move the tape up and down, sliding the tape open and closed, until you've established the biggest measurement. Re-check that the tape is horizontal. This is your widest hip measurement.

Note the number, and put your finger on your hip at the height of the tape. Take off the tape and measure how far down from your waist line your finger is. This is your (something something I forgot the word) -- it is used to check on sewing patterns and clothes how far down from your waist the widest part of your hips is.

For some people, the widest part includes some fullness in the thighs, and for others, it's higher up on the hip.

--Rheanna

Old 08-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #6
(female)

1stimer662 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheanna View Post
For some people, the widest part includes some fullness in the thighs, and for others, it's higher up on the hip.
So, the widest part doesn't necessarily have to be at the hips? Sometimes, like w/large or wide thighs you measure there, right under the buttocks? And that would still be your "hip" measurment??

Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
So, the widest part doesn't necessarily have to be at the hips? Sometimes, like w/large or wide thighs you measure there, right under the buttocks? And that would still be your "hip" measurment??
I would say yes. If you're sewing a pair of pants, this is the widest part at the side seam, to acommodate a "generous" rear end or thighs.

If you're asking for the purpose of having a base measure to see how much you've gained or lost (which is probably more likely since this is an Exercise Board ) then the widest part is an indication of where you tend to put on fat the easiest, and it's also an indication of where you'll see the fastest change when you start losing that fat. I'm no exercise expert, but that's what I would do.

Some people also measure around the largest part of the thigh (around a single thigh, not around the hips), to see how much that changes with diet and exercise also.

Of course it also just occured to me that there are already-fit people who are interested in how much their hip (or thigh or arm, etc) measurement changes when they're trying to bulk up by doing hard training. Ahem. These people also need to establish a starting point from which to measure.

I think the main thing here is to establish where the base measurments are for your body (around your rear end or around your hips) and always use that as your comparison position.

--Rheanna

Last edited by rheanna; 08-30-2007 at 11:48 PM. Reason: clarification

Closed Thread