It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 01:00 AM   #1
(female)

pinkroxy HB User
Easy exercises for building core strength (for beginners)

Anyone know of any good exercises for building up strength in the abdominal area and the core as I am rather weak in that area and find some exercises a bit hard and I would like to start off strengthening up the muscles in that area.

Any ideas or advice would be great, thanks.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:41 AM   #2
(female)

cat3883 HB User
Re: Easy exercises for building core strength (for beginners)

You are being wise on strenghtening your core. Although my core is somewhat weak considered to others it is considerably stronger than it used to be. I do alot of ab work. My trainer has us work the abs 2-3 times a week, sometimes after our stength training (7-9 minutes) or in between changing sets (50 each time). I have found for me abs on the ball has made my core much stronger. Planks are also very good for core strength. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 05:51 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

<removed> Also look for basic Pilates exercises.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-30-2007 at 09:42 AM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 10-30-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Pilates all the way! It's great for the core and I don't find pilates too challening. Some of the workout dvd's I bought seemed a little too easy for me. My favorites are by Denise Austin. I didn't really care for Winsor pilates although it's popular. I'd give it a shot... it works great and is gentle and there are different levels.

Hit The Spot Pilates by Denise Austin is a great dvd with different levels of difficulty!

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 10-30-2007 at 09:31 AM.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
(female)

pinkroxy HB User

Thanks everone

I will look into pilates as they do hold a Wednesday morning class on pilates at my gym which I am thinking about doing once my course and exams are over in a couple of weeks.

I am in the mean time trying to do little exercises on the ground where I suck my stomach in for about 10 seconds to just start strengthening the abdominals.

With the planks or prone holds (whatever they are called) I find that my abdominals arent strong enough to hold my body up and my back starts to arch a bit and I get lower back pain from doing it so Im just trying to find a way to build strength in my abs first before I can do a prone hold and be able to hold it properly.

Thanks for all the advice though I will look into the pilates classes though as I think that they would be great.

Roxy.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

If that's the case, do exercises where you are keeping your lower back on the ground. You can do pelvic tilts, and also just lie flat and think about drawing your belly button in toward your spine. Breathe, and draw it in further. Don't hold your breath. Keep breathing as you think about drawing it in further toward your spine.

Also you can include a couple simple yoga poses like th cat stretch that is down on "all 4s."

Old 11-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #7
(female)

pinkroxy HB User

I have been trying those lately. At work I would occasionally suck my stomach in for 30 seconds and then let go hoping that that will hel[p with building some strength within my adbominal area.

I am also trying it on the ground like you have said and I think so far so good, I will just keep on doing them and see if I notice an improvement soon enough.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:31 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

If you do a plank and your lower back starts hurting, just switch to downward dog which is the lower back stretch. <removed> When I first started pilates, I couldn't hold a plank as long as the others for your very reason. Just keep doing it. It'll get better.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-03-2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Closed Thread