It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
(male)

jcdad HB User
Morning Fast Before Work Out - Fat Loss - Fasting Longer

It has been found if your calorie deficit is too high, your body metabolism slows down. I would assume this applies whether you are eating way less and not exercising or exervising too much. I believe the potential to reduce metabolism happens when you start to go below 70% maintenance calories.

It's also seems widely accepted (at least based on the dozens of articles I've read) that optimum fat burn can be achieved by working out in the morning prior to eating breakfast when your glycogen stores are low. Otherwise the first 20-30 minutes of aerobic exercise burns glycogen instead of fat.

I find that I'm not very hungry in the morning. I'm wondering if fat loss can be increased even further by waiting until 10 AM to exercise (I go to bed about 11 PM and avoid eating food/carbs withing 3 hours of bedtime). Granted my energy level is lower as my blood sugar is low, but my workouts are not that intense (a combo of about 15-20 min resistance training and 15-20 min cardio) so I've found that fasting a couple extra hours doesn't effect my workout performance.

After my workout I eat a moderate breakfast that is semi-low carb to gradually raise my blood sugar, then about 2 to 2-1/2 to 3 hours later I eat lunch with more carbs in it and eat snacks/meals every 2-3 hours for the rest of the day. I count calories to make sure I'm achieving at least 70% maintenance level. I also go low-carb for 3 days and high carb/high calorie the 4th day once a week (to keep metabolism up.)

Does anyone see a drawback of waiting until late morning, extending the fast 2 and sometime 3 hours to further deplete glycogen stores in order to achieve maximum fat burn? Would it even make a difference?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Morning Fast Before Work Out - Fat Loss - Fasting Longer

There is the huige drawback of potential muscle loss which does slow metabolism. That much fasting is too extreme. You need to eat almost immediately after exercise if you do exercise before breakfast. This stops muscle breakdown in the absence of glucose. Glycogen is already low and possibly totally depleted at that point, but at rest (after exercise) your body is not tapping into your glycogen anymore, so that additional fast is ntohing but a detriment for you.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
(male)

jcdad HB User
Re: Morning Fast Before Work Out - Fat Loss - Fasting Longer

I'm not talking about fasting after the workout, I'm talking about getting up at 7 AM and working out at 10 AM with nothing to eat beforehand versus getting up at 7 AM and working out a 7:30. Both scenarios I eat directly after. It seems it's easier for me to keep my calories down if I wait to workout at 10 then eat a morning snack afterwords instead of eating breakfast at 8:15 after the workout then having a snack at 10:30. I eat every 2.5-3 hrs after my first meal of the day.

I'm not hungry until 10 AM. Seems like the extra 2.5 hrs of fasting would further deplete glycogen stores in order to getting even more of an immediate fat burn for my morning aerobic workout?

Although sometimes I do weight lifting and HIIT which involves anerobic exercise. Wonder if the additional fasting before the workout would make much difference as far as how much muscle is burned during anerobic?

Closed Thread