It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
(female)

Karla K HB User
Exclamation Dizzy & Nauseous while weight lifting! Any suggestions??

I am a very active and fit person (lots of cardio) and I have recently began working out with a trainer for 60 min. once per week for weight/strength training. Every workout with her I get extremely nauseous and dizzy about 30 min. into the session. I am very careful about hydrating, I eat a balanced breakfast 2 hrs before I meet with her and I still struggle with trying not to vomit. I work out 6 days per week so I know it's not because I'm a beginner and just trying to adjust. My blood pressure and resting heart rate are great (per my Dr.) so I'm kind of at a loss for what's up?! I tried to explain to my trainer and she said that she didn't have a clue and she hadn't had any other clients with this issue. Any ideas???

Old 11-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
(female)

Shelby106 HB User
Re: Dizzy & Nauseous while weight lifting! Any suggestions??

Changing to a different exercise routine that your body is not used to is possibly giving you the nausea. It's a sign that you are exerting yourself to the max. An hour maybe overdoing it. You should be able to get a good strength workout in half that time. I'm surprised that your trainer has not come across this issue before?

Make sure you do not hold your breath when training as this will raise your blood pressure and cause dizzyness and make sure your trainer is not using too much weight to start off with.

<Nausea is> the bodies way of reacting to something it's not used to. Exercises that have you going from and upright to a low position quickly can cause nausea similar to motion sickness.

I have found that most people adapt in about 2-4 weeks although some take longer.

What sort of weight is you trainer getting you to train with and how many reps/sets and what sort of exercises?

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-05-2007 at 10:52 PM. Reason: peer sharing only

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
(female)

Karla K HB User

She has me doing 3 sets of 10-12 reps (I only do free weights & Bosul ball) I only make it half way through (30 min) before I start feeling sick and my heart rate is up. I'm pretty good at knowing where my heart rate should be when I'm running, but the weight lifting is completely foreign and my body reacts so differently. My main concern is that this is a normal reaction and I'm not doing any damage to myself. If this is just something I need to work through, I'm good with that and I'll just accept it as a challenge. However, if it's a warning sign then I want to heed it and make sure I'm being careful. I was really surprised my trainer had no suggestions or feedback for me (she's the first trainer I've ever had). She simply told me maybe I'm getting sick (I'm not) and she assumed I was stronger that I really was (ouch on the pride :-) ) I really appreciate your feedback for me!

Old 11-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
(female)

Shelby106 HB User

If you're training for strength then make sure she is giving you sufficient rest between sets. If you're heart rate is up you are also getting a cardio workout also but you are doing other cardio workouts anyway, so i wouldn't have though it was the goal here.

If your trainer is giving you compound exercises (eg push ups, cable row, squats) you should be able to do a full body workout in about 30 mins - twice a week. I think this would be preferable to one 60 min workout and would condition your body quicker seeing that you are new to this.

I don't believe you are doing any harm and it will pass.

If i was your trainer i'd take it down a level. Ask your trainer if your program is periodised and see what she says. She should be able to tell if the session is too intense for you and never assume anything! 3 sets of 10-12 is good. How many reps are you actually getting to?

Last edited by moderator2; 11-05-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: delete reference to a posting policy violation - please report bad posts

Old 11-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
(female)

Karla K HB User

She does have me doing compound exercises with the weights...and I usually get to the full set of 12, although as I get fatigued about the middle of my workout I usually bump down to the 10-11 rep range. I try for the 12 but I can feel I'm just not there yet. Can you explain to me what periodised is? I really appreciate your help in this- this is the first forum I have ever used and I was a little leary at first, but it's turning out to be so helpful! Your expertise is much appreciated.

In addition to my 1 day per week session with my trainer, I do 1 day of BodyPump (weight lifting) and 2 days of BodyCombat (cardio), run 5-7 miles 3 days per week and walk 7-9 miles 2 days per week (I walk the days I do BodyCombat and run on the weight lifting days) and 1 rest day. I'm not sure if another session with my trainer would exhaust me more or help? I try to put in about 30-35 miles per week running/walking; would I be better off lowering my mileage for more weights?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
(female)

Shelby106 HB User

Sounds like your program with your trainer is good and the weights you are using are correct.

You sound quite fit already and already do a good variation of exercise. BodyPump is great for strength. No, i do not think another day with your trainer would benefit if this is your program already just that i think maybe an hour is too long. I don't think reducing your cadio in favour of weights will give any benefit unless you want to build more muscle.

Periodising simply means that your program should progressively increase. Eg if you were training for a marathon you might start off by running 5 miles and gradually build up distance over a period of weeks/months until you reach your goal. (Including sprints and hills would also help you achieve this)

Hope this helps

Last edited by Shelby106; 11-05-2007 at 07:33 PM.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
(male)

gib HB User

Exertion beyond your normal capacity is probably the trigger for the nausea. I'm an alumni at a university and participate in their Adult Fitness program out the Exercise and Health Sciences department. I work out 4 days a week which usually includes a 3 mile run each time. I happen to run with one of the graduate students on Wednesday nights and a couple of weeks back we really cranked up the pace to almost a sprint for the run. Afterwards I had to go hide for a bit while I dry heaved. I asked her what she thought of the whole nausea thing. While she wasn't absolutely sure, her thoughts were that your blood sugar drops significantly after extreme exertion and that's what brings on the nausea. While I haven't looked into it any further, I'd suggest perhaps researching the effect of exercise on blood sugar and how it makes you feel. I don't believe that it's a matter of how strong you are or how good of shape you're in, as I'm in great shape, I think it's a matter of how far you exceed your 'normal' exercise routine and what your body is use to. Let us know what you discover, good luck!

Closed Thread