It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
(male)

gib HB User
Heart rate, workout, running monitors/computers?

Can anyone suggest any monitors? I'm at the point at my current fitness level to where I'm interested in paying closer attention to how I'm doing.

I'm 6'2", about 187lbs, somewhere around 10-12% body fat, would like to drop another 10 pounds to get the abs to show, but it's tough at this point to lose more weight. I certainly work on the diet side of things, but I'm interested in more of the details of my workout. There are running computers and workout computers. I'm a amatuer runner, running 3 miles each session, but I'm also interested in counting calories burned for my entire cardio routine.

For example, I'm looking at the Polar RS100 or RS200sd to enhance the running experience, or the F11 workout monitor. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 11-23-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
(male)

korunner HB User
Re: Heart rate, workout, running monitors/computers?

I've been running and racing for years and have used various heart monitors. I presently use one of the basic Polar models(sorry I forgot the model number). I've had other ones with all the features(limit settings, calorie counting, fitness testing, etc) but I never used them. All I ever use is the heart rate and timer and most of them come with this. Absolutely stay with a Polar model though, they are the best out there.
Happy running!
Keith

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
(male)

gib HB User

Thanks Keith, the Polar RS100 is the basic running monitor they offer.

Question: Do you monitor distance too? Most of the time I run on a track so I know how far I've run. To mix it up, I might be inclined to take off any direction for a run instead of the track, but then I wouldn't know how far I've gone. I figure you'll say to just maintain my normal pace for the usual time I run whether it be on or off the track, right? But I might think it would be difficult to monitor performance increases without knowing distance covered? I wouldn't jump into one of the GPS units, but the Polar RS200 has the shoe pod for distance measurements, do you find any value to a model with a shoe pod?

One more: Any comfort issues with having to wear the heart monitor strap? Does it get in the way at all?

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
(male)

korunner HB User

I've never run with any of the shoe pod type monitors. I do have a Garmin GPS 201 and I love it. They have a newer model that has the GPS and heart rate monitor. Mostly I like because it tells me the mileage of my runs. I have many regular routes that I run and like to make up new ones so I can keep track of my mileage. Honestly I stopped racing a couple of years ago and now just run for enjoyment and to stay healthy so the distance is not really important anymore. For specific training(like intervals) what's most important is the amount of time you run at a specific heart rate and most of the basic models have at least a stop watch on them.

I haven't had any problems with the chest straps other than the elastic can wear out after a few years, but it's easy to order new ones.

Happy running!
Keith

Closed Thread