It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
(male)

aceman626 HB User
Sharp Knee pain..what is it??

Hi all, for almost a year now, I've been have this sharp knee pain every time i apply pressure on my knee. That means running, jumping, going up and down stairs, kneeling down, standing up, lifting things, all of that hurts. The only thing i can do is walk, that's it. This is a sharp pain, as if someone's sticking a knife behing my kneecap. (not a dull numb pain)

And when I bend my knee, in addition to the pain, there a loud crackling sound, as if there's stuff in there that's broken or crushed.

I've been to the orthopedics 3X, and all they say is to wear a knee brace and rest your leg and ice the knee. They keep telling me surgery is not required. Well I've been doing that for almost a year with no improvements.

Please help!!! Is my knee permanently messed up?? I am otherwise a healthy, athletic individual. If pro athletes who tear their ACL or have other seirous injuries can get back to playing, how come I can't heal from a seemingly less severe injury?

Thanks.

Last edited by aceman626; 01-15-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Sharp Knee pain..what is it??

I would try a different orthopedist. There are more options, and it doesn't sound like they've even identified the problem clearly.

Physical therapy is very helpful for a lot of muscoskeletal problems. If that fails, then you might need surgery, but, again, you'd have to know exactly what was wrong first.

Have you had X-rays or MRI? Does icing (for 30 minutes at a time) help the pain at all? Did you have a trauma, or did it just start one day?

Don't be too scared. People really do recover from problems that last that long.

You might want to search the knee and hip board and see if anyone has had a similar experience. (Keep in mind that the ones still on the board are the worst case scenarios, and the vast majority of onetime knee pain sufferers recovered fully or mostly and are out living their lives and not here.)

Good luck. I've spent the past couple months seeking help for an ankle problem. My father compared the experience of talking to multiple doctors and getting multiple opinions and treatment plans to runnning through a maze. I think I'm nearing the cheese, though, and might have surgery next month.

Last edited by janewhite1; 01-15-2008 at 07:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
(male)

gib HB User

Yeah, I don't know how pro athlete's do it, my seemingly minor torn miniscus has not been easy to come back from.

What's the health care like there, I see you're posting from Asia somewhere. I'd guess you have a torn miniscus, possibly some debris floating around? Have you had an MRI? Are the doctors putting you off over there? Most doctors will want to do an MRI. When I tore my miniscus, my doctor said he doesn't do MRI's as they raise more questions than they answer and he usually ends up doing surgery anyways. He said it will either get better or you'll be back to see him. I went back two weeks later when it was clear it wasn't getting better and had it scoped.

If it's been a year for you, that's not good. Three times to the ortho with nothing more than an Rx for icing isn't good either. It is always possible that if something is wrong, you can do further damage by not having it corrected. The doctors over here would of have had you fixed up by now...

Old 01-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
(male)

aceman626 HB User

thank Janewhite and Gib. Actually I have been to multiple different orthopedics, they all say the same thing. And none of them did MRI....they only asked for XRay. The last one told me to tape up my knee, and i'm supposed to go back to 2 weeks for a checkup.

I do suspect taht I have a torn meniscus and debris floating around in my knee, I can hear it crackling!

Generally speaking the docs here and medical environment are very good...however I can't help but suspect that orthopedics in the US are a lot more experienced (with more people working out, playing sports, exercising in the states) and that the ones here might be too conservative when it comes to this stuff. They see that I'm walking, and they immediately say "if you're walking, you do not need surgery."

There's a board for knees only?? I did not see that. I'll post there and see what happens.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:27 AM   #5
(female)

pinkroxy HB User

My knee was similar the same and my physio suspected slightly torn meniscus about 4 months ago it wasnt bad though. But as I was seeing her more she then came to thinking it was more patellofemoral pain which it could be something that you might have. I cant run for long or walk up too many stairs without it hurting. It will even play up if Im standing for too long.

Apparently patellofemoral pain isnt something that can be healed just reduced. I know that some exercises do aggrevate it but I am quite naughty and do tend to avoid it now.

I just thought it might be a possibility that you could have this aswell.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Can you *request* an MRI?

Closed Thread