It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

leopardprint HB User
Exclamation Skinny female LF Weight Gain Help!

Hello all ! I'm new to the forums and hope to get some insight on people who might have the same issues as me.

I'm 22yrs old, about 5'6"-5'7", and weigh anywhere between 94-100lbs (for the past year, it's been SO hard to even hit 100lbs ).

I've always been relatively skinny. Both my parents are very thin as well, so it sort of runs in the family. However, I've never truly been happy with my weight. When I was 18yrs old, I suddenly jumped to an impressive 110-115lbs! I LOVED my body for the first time in years! I'm really not too sure what exactly put on the weight. At the time, I had moved to the city, did not have a car so I had to walk (well, more like power walking in heals!), and was probably eating out a bit more than usual (Subway sandwiches, burgers from diners, etc.) but not by too much.

My problem for the past year or so is that I moved back to my hometown, and lost the weight dramatically. I really want to gain weight and be at least 110, but 115 would be my ultimate goal! I no longer can "walk" to places, as my home is in the middle of no-where-farm-lands. I don't eat out as much, and I'm not a cook by ANY means, so I'm picky when it comes to foods that have to be made from home.

I've gone to doctors, and it's not a medical issue. They've told me to try protein drinks and I have but they do nothing, or, I can't seem to finish them. I also haven't worked out or exercised a day in my life (well, besides whimpy grade school gym class), but I'm looking to start if it's something that would help me out dramatically. I've just always been so worried about doing exercises or taking supplements that would make me look bulky and "body-builder-esque" which is what I definitely do NOT want to look like .

So, to cliff note it for you guys :

- 22yrs old female; 5'6"-5'7"; 94-100lbs
- wants to desperately gain weight!
- eats nothing but Burger King, pizza, junk foods
- has been to doctors for years; NOT a medical problem ("skinny genes" just run in the fam!)
- looking for advice on how to gain weight HEALTHILY
- looking for advice on how to exercise to gain weight
- looking for advice on how to eat / best meals to make at home to gain weight
- looking for advice on supplements or GNC-type products or drinks that are tasty and will help gain weight
- does NOT want to look like a body builder , just wants to gain a little more weight while keeping a slim, feminine figure !

Thanks for all your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Skinny female LF Weight Gain Help!

Don't worry about looking like a body builder! The only way that will happen is if you do intense weight lifting, a lot of it. And, if a particular muscle gets bigger than you like, you just need to stop working it so much.

Walking is good, yoga, pilates, swimming, what options are open to you?

Old 03-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

leopardprint HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Walking is good, yoga, pilates, swimming, what options are open to you?
I would love to start Yoga, but I don't exactly have the money for a gym membership . I have a personal gym at my home, but I was told not to try yoga and pilates on your own, as you could seriously hurt yourself.

I do have a pool, but it won't be warm enough to swim in until May-June.

I basically have access to weights, trend mill, exercise machines, etc., in my home gym. I could always go out and buy some books or DVDs on Yoga, but after my friend (who I mentioned above and is a Yoga instructor) told me I could seriously injure myself without first learning the correct way to Yoga from an instructor, it got me a bit scared to try it on my own .

Old 03-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Definitely get a teacher. You might be able to find a class for only $10-15 per session, maybe even less. Maybe continuing ed at your local high school?

Or maybe there's a gym that will let you pay for just a class without buying a membership?

Walking on the treadmill or outdoors is pretty safe, though, as long as you wear good walking sneakers.

Last edited by janewhite1; 03-22-2008 at 09:10 AM.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
(female)

bh0819 HB User

I suggest a trainer as well, but make sure your trainer has a strong background in nutrition. Too many of them just have certificates as trainers, but if you do your research you can find really great ones that do not cost an arm and a leg that also have degrees in nutrition.

<removed>

Hope some of this helps. Good luck. Remeber, no matter what happens you are beautiful and strong if you believe you are.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-24-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: do not discuss other forums

Old 04-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
(male)

russki1 HB User

Well if you do not have any medical problems I suggest instead of hitting a gym you go to a local MMA/boxing club as they usually have quite afew experienced trainers who will be willing to show you how to weight train properly (+ usually have weights). Try to stay off the junk food and eat normal food. I myself am skinny but after I stopped training I dropped from 145-148 to 140, but I also have medical problems which discouraged me.

Closed Thread