It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 03:51 AM   #1
(female)

keepdancing HB User
calf building exercises?

I have started (REstarted!) an exercise program and was wondering if anyone could tell me a good exercise to build calf muscles and build the front of the thighs also. I should add that I have a bad knee, so squats and lunges are really hard for me to do, not squats as much, but lunges definitely!!! I should also say that I have never had the shapliest legs so I realize that a lot of this is genetic. I have recieved some good advice and encouragment on here, (thanks to everyone!!) and I am sure that I will be back on asking more questions as I am on my quest to regain some of what I have sadly neglected. BUT, better late than never! I have to say that it feels GOOD to be exercising again, hopefully I will see some results!!
Also, what are exercises referred to as 'good mornings'?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
(female)

horrorshow HB User
Re: calf building exercises?

hello yeah lunges are <difficult>, no matter how your knees are doing. I really have to be in the mood. so for calf muscles, I've found that seated calf raises are a HUGE help. when you raise up onto the balls of your feet, hold it for a long moment, and then come down. make sure not to overextend when you're flexing on the way down. a tendon pull will really set you back

also, tying a weighted plate around your hips w/ one of those belts and then standing on a platform for calf raises can be great. or simply hold the weight in one hand.

for thighs....well....if lunges are out, and squats hurt, I'd say aim for the seated leg extension machine. those definitely yield results.

basically, genetics seem to play a huge role in muscle development, but I think cardio also plays a huge role in results when used in conjunction with whatever weight training program you're doing.

good luck

exercises referred to as "good mornings"? probably something like a warm up....or something really painful lol...that'd be my guess. I have no clue.

<removed>

yeah seems painful hahaha ^^

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-06-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
(female)

horrorshow HB User

oops. sorry

Old 04-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I definitely thinking standing on your toes and flexing your calves works pretty well. Sitting is a great idea if it is hard on your knees. Just don't flex TOO hard or you can pull a muscle.

You can also extend your legs straight out while sitting on the ground and point your toe out and then flex your foot up and keep repeating. It should help work the front AND back of the calves while being gentle.

If you are okay to use an elliptical machine, you may want to try that as well. Just see if it works okay with your knees. It's much gentler than jogging outside or on a treadmill. I prefer to go faster but with less resistance because I get muscular legs very easily and prefer to keep them slim, but fit looking. If I put slightly more weight on my toes, it works the calves very well.

Closed Thread