It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
"Lumpy" Stomach

I need some great ideas on how to get my stomach looking its best. I have been dieting and exercising and am happy with my weight, but my stomach seems like it is never perfectly smooth. It's flat and my waist measurement is smaller, but I feel like it looks bumpy. Kinda like Tara Reid's after bad lipo, but not as severe.

Currently I jog or use the elliptical 5 times a week and do strength training exercises. I do 200 crunches a day as well. My abdominal muscles are there, I just have these bits of fat OVER them and cardio has only done so much for me. In the past I weighed less than I did now and I still had the problem. Actually, if I gain weight, it isn't as noticeable but then my stomach isn't as flat.

Any ideas other than surgery?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
(female)

nicky2005 HB User
Re: "Lumpy" Stomach

I have the same problem. I would like some ideas too..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
(female)

ljenner831 HB User

hmmm....have you had children? Or were you ever heavy and lost weight? I ask b/c it sounds like you just have skin, not fat. You are doing all of the right things with exercise. I fear it's just skin and therefore surgery is the only way to tighten it....

Old 04-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

No to both of those! I was bigger as a teenager and I'm now just out of my teen years and never had children.

At my largest I was probably a size 7 or so and gradually lost weight and now am at a size 3. I know if you lose weight very quickly, you can get loose skin and all, but it took me over a year to get down to a smaller weight and stay there.

I feel like there isn't even loose skin. I just feel like there's a layer of fat over my abs and isn't going away even when I get down to my ideal weight. I'm 5'4 and I know if I get down to 115, it looks a little better, but it's STILL there. I'm just under 120 right now and I know I'm not overweight.

I just wonder if there is any other exercise that is good for this area besides doing lots of cardio to burn the fat. It's not BAD for me, but enough to where I worry for bikini time! I see people much larger than me that don't have this problem. If anything, wearing a dangling belly ring seems to "conceal" it a little bit since it covers the area a tiny bit.

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 04-08-2008 at 08:03 PM.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
(female)

vic77 HB User

Getting rid of the fat around the stomach and abd muscles is the most difficult; and exercising after you have eaten will not eliminate the fat in this area because you are burning calories you have just eaten. To get rid of this type of fat, exercising before you eat is the best bet. This fat is stored incase the body needs it during times of famine, and then the fat is burned.

I started jumping on my exercise trampoline first thing in the morning, and my stomach is defiently getting smaller, and I do not do situps or crunches.

Vic

Old 04-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for the reply! My problem is that I'm NOT a morning person and have to stay up pretty late with my schedule. I take night classes after work and don't get home until 10pm and still have homework to do and showering etc. It also takes my hair a very long time to dry because it's very thick, so I try to not blow dry it unless I really have to. So, getting up extra early and showering and getting ready would be tricky, but I'm about to graduate from college and may try that when I've got a steady schedule going! That is the one thing I haven't tried.

For now, do you think that doing this even just Saturday and Sunday can help some? I usually work out at night or in the middle of the day if I have time off, but weekends are a bit more flexible for now! I work out about 5 times a week, but maybe 2 times being early can help.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Another thing I forgot to mention... I get bloated very easily and get my stomach upset easily. Do you think this can do with it? I feel like my stomach will expand if I eat any of the foods that tend to bother me (mostly ones high in fiber that are very good for you and if I have too many fruits/veggies), and then it goes back down. I try to drink a lot of water and working out seems to help with this, but I feel all puffy some of the time. Do you think this can make my stomach get this kind of effect? I can try to avoid these foods and find better substitutes for them!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
(female)

vic77 HB User

Drinking green tea may help, I started drinking it instead of coffee and my puffy belly went down quite a bit, I just stated a cinnamon and honey tea at bedtime and 1st thing in the morning. 8 oz boiling water 1/2 t cinnamon, steep 1/2 hour, add 1 t honey and mix. drink 1/2 just before going to bed and the other half first thing in the mornng. You can use a coffe filter for the cinnamon.

Vic

P.S.
Any exercise is better than none, and prevents the added pounds of extra fat. Exercising early on the weekends before eating is also a good idea.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

OK, trRrra...If I stood next to you, I would look like a hippo. I know I am older than you, and have a few kids, but I am only 5'5" and weigh 138, and wear a size 7 or 9! Please don't obsess about your stomach. I am sure you look great if you are a "size 3"!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #10
(female)

kilohana HB User

Maybe you should think about your diet. You need to eat foods that will keep you lean, as in high protein. <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-15-2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I definitely have a very healthy diet and eat lean proteins and low glycemic carbs. I don't eat as many processed carbs either! I've made quite a few changes to my diet. I used to eat Lean Cuisines and things like that but they weren't working for me and I've eaten even healthier.

Green tea DOES help with bloating and I really enjoy it! I would buy the diet green tea, but the problem is, I have to pee too often when I drink it. It's fine for at home, but one day in college classes, I had to get up THREE times during a guest speaker's presentation to go to the restroom! It was terrible, but I could tell it definitely got rid of excess water weight.

Hey mommaoftwinsplus1, I'm sure you look great! I have plenty of friends who are in the double digits in size and look awesome! I was surprised to hear that some wore the sizes they said and weighed what they said. I definitely know that numbers on the scale don't mean much!

An update.. I've been having acid reflux problems and am very sensitive to many foods, so I think as long as I try to eat very small meals (often throughout the day to add to a normal amount of calories) it will help me a lot. If I don't get that very full feeling (which often makes me sick, literally), I feel so much better. It's just difficult when I'm out with friends and we go to a restaurant. Even appetizers can be very large, and if it's in front of me, I'm the type that will eat it all! I just need to get in the habit of taking my food to go and splitting my meal in half.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
(female)

blue712 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention... I get bloated very easily and get my stomach upset easily. Do you think this can do with it? I feel like my stomach will expand if I eat any of the foods that tend to bother me (mostly ones high in fiber that are very good for you and if I have too many fruits/veggies), and then it goes back down. I try to drink a lot of water and working out seems to help with this, but I feel all puffy some of the time. Do you think this can make my stomach get this kind of effect? I can try to avoid these foods and find better substitutes for them!
i also have this problem but have attributed it to certain food intolerances. allergies/intolerances to wheat, gluten, and preservatives run in my family. the symptoms include a distended belly, swelling/bloating, extra water weight, and general discomfort. although it is quite difficult, i managed to avoid foods containing these sources and i noticed an impressive difference. the only problem is that it is a difficult diet to manage. it is especially hard to avoid gluten, it is found in so many food products. i hope this was somewhat helpful. good luck.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks blue! I actually DO have some stomach sensitivities so I think this could be why. I know certain dairy products bother me a lot. I'll just have to try to figure out everything that bothers me and try to avoid them. I've switched to Lactaid milk and it's made the biggest difference. It's funny b/c I can still eat most cheeses and yogurts, but skim milk would give me horrible stomach aches.

Closed Thread