It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
(female)

vic77 HB User
ab exercises for someone with a bad back

I need to do some exercises to flatten my abd muscles but I am disabled due to degenerative disk disease in my back. Is there any exercises I can do that will not cause further injury to my back. I tried to do sit ups the other day and thought I would never get up off the floor.

vic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
(male)

getinshape18 HB User
Re: abd exercuses for someone with a bad back

Vic have you considered physical therapy, though not every injury is fixable with p.t., most are sustainable.

Also the biggest misconception of abs is you can tone them with sit ups and abs workouts. Sure you can build the muscles, but you will never see them under all that fat.

You have to first lower your body fat.

Also I'm not too familiar with your back issues, but I have an Ab Lounge which allows you to lay your back on the "lounge" which may give you enough support for your abs.

<removed>

Anyways I admire you for wanting to workout despite injury, many of us use that as an excuse.

Best of luck

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-27-2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

vic77,

Muscles are strengthened when they are contracted. The usual way to strengthen abdomenals is with crunches or similar exercises while lying on the back -- the abs are contracted against the pull of gravity. As you have noted, this also puts a strain on the back and neck, and is not appropriate if you have weaknesses in those areas.

Another way to get that contraction with some resistance is with resistance stretch bands. One option might be to loop a resistance band over a doorknob, sit in a chair with your back to the doorknob, and do a sitting "crunch" by bending forward while holding the stretch band over your shoulders. The band will stretch only so far, but it will give you the resistance that you would normally get from trying to lift yourself from the floor against gravity.

--Rheanna

Last edited by rheanna; 05-28-2008 at 07:23 AM. Reason: clarification

Old 05-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
(female)

vic77 HB User

Thanks for the suggestions; I tried the ab lounger but with my back problems, I was not able to use it. The idea of using the bands sounds like a great idea, I have some bands I used when I injured my knee.

I have tried the stretch bands for several nights in a row and they seem to be doing a great job, thanks for he suggestion.

Vic

Last edited by vic77; 06-03-2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: add information

Closed Thread