It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
(female)

ciaraethan HB User
how long should a starter on a treadmill work out for

how long should a starter on a treadmill work out for

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
(female)

shiree5 HB User
Re: how long should a starter on a treadmill work out for

Start off slow! If you have never been on a treadmill before then try and do five minute bursts, and then slowly work up to 40 minutes a day for maximum weight loss that is what my gp told me. At the moment I do five minute bursts on treadmill four times a day so it adds up to 20 minutes! I hope you have the treadmill at home, because going to a gym four times a day could be difficult especially if you are working!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I agree to start off slow! Even 15-20 minutes to start is perfectly fine. Just don't try to run very fast or do anything too challenging or you can end up with shin splints or sore the next day. Take your time and stretch as well! I never really get tired of walking and can just keep on going, but with running, I had to start off at a short amount of time. I would run for 10 minutes and then have to walk afterwards b/c I'd be out of breath. Now I can go longer, but I still don't stay on for an hour or anything. Probably about 35-40 minutes just due to my busy schedule (plus I like to lift weights too!). Just do what is comfortable, but not TOO easy and work your way up!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
(female)

sandi2932 HB User

I was going to a Gym until I had problems with my sleep (another issue). They had me start out walking at a pace that would get my heart rate up but not too much. I did 15 minutes and then when I felt comfortable I increased the speed. Because of my size it was too hard to get is so fast that I ran, but what I did was increase the incline. At one point I was at a 10% incline. I went at my own pace. Every week I would increase the speed or the incline or even both.

Sandi

Closed Thread